Animal Injury, Dog Bite Dog bite--what is my liability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

badgergirl

I had a friend staying with me temporarily. She has a 2 year old akita. My neighbor, who walks my dog daily at lunch, began walking both dogs on the days the akita was not at doggie daycare. After about 4 months with no problems, the akita bit my neighbor. The neighbor has no health insurance. My friend has no renters or home owners insurance. The injured neighbor has filed claim against me as the homeowner although the dog is not mine. She's had to see a plastic surgeon and the bite was pretty severe and to the face. What is my liability? What should I do to protect myself? I don't have any equity in the home or anything of value. Will my homeowner's policy likely cover under liability and if so, can they drop me from future coverage? I live in FL so am nervous about that.
thanks!

Last edited:
Florida state law imposes strict liability on the owner for the dog bite. She should be looking to your friend for recovery, not to you.

Landlords can also be liable for dog bites that occur on their premises, but only if they have knowledge the animal is vicious. Sounds like this wasn't on your premises and you didn't know the dog was vicious, so I doubt you're liable as a landlord.

It's conceivable that you could be liable in negligence, but I can't really see it. You didn't know the dog had any propensity to bite and there was nothing reasonable you ought to have done to protect your neighbour.

Whether its covered under your policy depends on the policy - have a close look to be sure. I'd be surprised if it was.

Florida state law imposes strict liability on the owner for the dog bite. She should be looking to your friend for recovery, not to you.

Landlords can also be liable for dog bites that occur on their premises, but only if they have knowledge the animal is vicious. Sounds like this wasn't on your premises and you didn't know the dog was vicious, so I doubt you're liable as a landlord.

It's conceivable that you could be liable in negligence, but I can't really see it. You didn't know the dog had any propensity to bite and there was nothing reasonable you ought to have done to protect your neighbour.

Whether its covered under your policy depends on the policy - have a close look to be sure. I'd be surprised if it was.

Though it could be argued that Akita's are known to be more dangerous than other breeds, however, if the lady who was bit can use that against the OP, then the OP could use that against the lady who was bit as well. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back