Animal Injury, Dog Bite dog attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanyabekker

Hi,

My dog was recently attacked by neighbors dogs. My dog was on my property behind walls and a remote controlled access gate. The neighbors gates were open and his dogs were in the street.They ran up my driveway and managed to grab hold of my dog through the bars of the gate. They pulled him with such force that they managed to get his head through the narrowly spaced bars whilst the rest of his body was trapped on our side. He was stuck and we could not pull him back. The neighbor dogs continued to attack him, ripping the lower part of his face away and leaving skin hanging. My husband sustained a bite to his hand trying to stop the attack. Eventually the neighbor came out and managed to get the dogs back into his own property. In the meantime we were trying to free our dog and had to cut the bars of the gate with an angle grinder to do so. Our ten year old daughter was hysterical. The neighbor then proceeded to calmly back his car out of the driveway to drive away without even troubling himself to see if he could help us free the dog. The dog has already had three operations to reattach the lower part of his face and graft skin to replace non viable skin and faces at least one more surgery. Who is liable for vet fees for all this?

I doubt anyone here will know what the law may be there in Africa, but usually owners are responsible for the damages their animals cause. If the owner of the neighbor will not pay the bills that you present to him then pursue a remedy in a civil court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back