Does this seem like proper protocol?

Danden

I was a manager for a title loan company since 2012. April 20th, 2015 my area manager came to my store and told me that she was taking me to a random drug screening. En route we also picked up another manager for a drug screening. On the way back I openly admitted that I smoke Marijuana, and have for over 10 years and informed her that I would not pass the test. The next day I asked if there was reasonable suspicion to drug test me. She said no, I got an email from my boss stating that you were to take a random drug test. April 27th I received a call from the lab testing company stating the results were indeed positive for THC. May 1st, 2015 I was terminated. I filed for unemployment thinking because the amount of time I worked there I would be eligible. It was denied because "
Facts establish that the terms or conditions of an employment agreement required the drug test and/or that the
employer had reasonable suspicion of drug use by the claimant. And to my knowledge as of today 5/21/15 There have been no more "Random" drug screening. It was the very first time it occurred. It all seems shady to me, I didn't know the lab testing company called with results. Why wait 2 weeks to terminate me. Why after 3 years at a job am I being drug tested. I didn't get injured, supposedly there wasn't reasonable suspicion. I just need advice.

You failed the drug test, you told your are manager that you were a long-time habitual user. You were fired. Those are the only facts that really matter.
Advice is to quit doing drugs and find other employment.

Let's put it this way.

Without considerably more detail (not all of which you could give us) it's impossible to say absolutely, positively, for certain that nothing improper happened. But there is likewise nothing in your post that suggests that anything improper occurred.

Based just on what you posted, I don't see an illegal termination. Your best bet now is to look for other employment.

Dude, you admitted to your employer you are a regular drug user and were found to be under the influence when you were supposed to be on the clock. Game over.

Other than a requirement to have worked long enough to meet the minimum service time to be eligible for UI, your length of service is not a qualifier. Pretty much the only thing that matters is why you separated employment and violation of the drug policy, is almost impossible to overcome.

Back