Burglary, Arson, Home Invasion does this make a confession plausible in court?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthew907

I confessed to my crime. Since the police officer locked the door behind me at the police station. Does that make my confession plausible in court? Since I felt like I wasnt able to leave under free will and also felt under arrest.

You probably should have made no comments without a lawyer there. Yes, they can use the confession in court - it might even have been recorded. I don't know if you signed anything but they can still use it. You said you confessed to *my* crime so it sounds like you did it. Do you now have a lawyer - if not, get one.

If you were advised of your rights before questioning they can use it. If you were not advised of your rights they may not be able to use it. If you made the statement without them asking a question then they can use it regardless.

If you weren't informed of your Miranda rights before questioning, then yes, any incriminating statements you made can most likely be suppressed by a competent criminal defense motion after a hearing in the court.

If you volunteered information without being asked a question, then they can definitely use it as also noted by mightymoose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back