Does this law apply to probation periods?

Professional989

Jurisdiction
Maryland
I recently started a new job as a full time exempt employee. My company has a 30 day policy for being eligible for benefits including holiday pay.

They were trying to deduct pay from me for Christmas, even though they are closed and I cannot go into work. I questioned this and they instead forced me to go negative on PTO. Is this illegal to do this for exempt employees?

After all of this went down I started to look into federal law a little more and found a section on salary and exempt employees. It essentially says you cannot deduct pay from an exempt employee as long as they had worked some time in that pay period if the day off is due to something on the companies side.

Am I in the wrong while pushing back on this? The HR manager actually said it would be illegal to pay me for a holiday I did not earn (probation period) while the internet is saying something else.

They can't dock your pay if you are indeed exempt. They can charge it against future PTO.

Okay, so what they were initially going to do (dock my pay) is actually illegal. Through my complaint it actually allowed them to be in compliance. I don't think they know this and now I have a moral dilemma to make them aware or to just let it be...

So as I understand it, you did get paid but it was charged to your PTO, putting you in a negative balance? Is that correct?

What they were going to do is irrelevant. You've made your point and they are now aware of the issue. Do you really WANT to paint a target on your back that's going to follow you around the entire time you've working there?

Ya sorry... I think the site temporarily crashed when I posted that. Page wouldn't load and I couldn't log back in for awhile.

Yes, I think it was resolved. :)

Back