Does the lemon law apply?

AmandaHallas1515

Jurisdiction
Arizona
I purchased a 2007 Elantra with 130xxx miles on it from a used car lot on 7/24/2017. I had the car for 3 days (7/27), and the transmission threw a check engine light. I called the lot next 2 days to be told i needed to speak with the owner, who i ended up having to text directly. I then took it in the following Monday (7/31...7 calendar days after the purchase). I got it back on the 5th day, 8/4. I drove it home 22 miles, and the transmission clunked hard, and the engine light was on. I took a picture of the odometer and the engine light and sent it to the owner. He claimed the issue had been fixed...
They are closed weekends, so I took it in on Monday (8/7) and i have gotten nothing but runaround answers and excuses...It is now 9/1 and I STILL do not have my car back.

At what point does the lemon law come into play?
I am expecting to get the car back today, but I can't trust that they actually fixed the problem and would much rather get my money back to put towards a vehicle from somone else.

At what point does the lemon law come into play?

Under Arizona's lemon law, 44-1261 - Definitions; exemptions a used car is covered for the first 15 days or 500 miles after your purchase, or whichever comes first.

If your car breaks down during this 15 day period, you'll need to contact the manufacturer or an authorized dealer.

You may be required to pay up to $25 for the first 2 repairs required.

If you've got a vehicle that qualifies as a lemon, you should consider getting a lemon lawyer.

AZ lemon laws may seem cut and dry, but when you're dealing with businesses, things can get complicated.

A lemon law attorney can help ensure you have everything you need to prove your vehicle is a lemon and get the proper compensation you deserve.

Benefits of hiring a lemon law lawyer include:

Negotiating power – A lemon lawyer can help you push your manufacturer to resolve your issue.

Knowledge of the law – Your attorney will understand all the factors of the lemon law and how they affect your case.

Trusted advice – Your attorney can explain the lemon law to you and provide advice for you on the best ways to move forward.

It's also important to note that it may not cost you anything to hire a lemon lawyer.

How long/how many attempts do they have at fixing the issue?
Can i receive a refund?

Hard to say, in fact, impossible to say.

As suggested, you might want to talk with attorneys who specialize in the lemon law.

If you have a solid case, you'll find a lawyer who'll take your case on contingency (lawyer gets paid, ONLY if you get paid).

The clock is ticking, and that might end up being a problem for you, although it seems you have a solid argument to make.

Back