Does One Notice Supersede Another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmisa

Hi,
I live in California. On Nov 20, 2012 I entered into a one-year lease agreement with the landlord. Although I moved into the unit on Nov 20th, there was a line within the lease to extend the lease until Nov 30, 2013.

At the beginning of August, my landlord sent me a new lease agreement. The request stated that I should either sign the new lease agreement by October 7, 2013 or submit a 30-day notice. I submitted a 30-day notice, and left at the end of October. My argument is although he may have not meant to write it this way, he sent a legal notice asking me to "sign another lease or submit a 30 day notice by October 7th." He probably meant to say, sign the new lease by October 7th, or submit a 30-day notice 30 days before your lease termination date which would've been November 30, 2013.

Due to his notice and request to submit a 30-day notice, I quickly made other living arrangements which I couldn't get out of. Do I have a legal argument due to his request that I submit a 30-day notice by a specific date?

I assume the landlord has kept a deposit or is demanding rent for November?
If you can provide evidence of the request for 30 day notice as you described I would expect you could beat him if it went to court.
If this is about a deposit then the landlord has to provide you an expense report- was this done within 3 weeks of moving out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back