Deportation, Re-entry Does it impact on H1b renewal for the Convicted misdemeanor?

U

URaj

Jurisdiction
Ohio
Hi -

I and my wife was arrested for child engagement with a charge of misdemeanor 1 and as part of the deal we plead guilty for criminal mischief, misdemeanor 3. Each of us got a 1 year probation without jail time and after 3-7 months probation was completed. Now I need to renew my H1B visa on Sept 2017, the question is does it impact on renewal?
Please provide me the inputs.
Thanks

If I remember correctly, one way to view it is by the maximum jail time you faced. It appears to me the max may have only been 60 days, which is well under the threshold that would cause trouble for you.
However there is also the consideration of crimes of "moral turpitude", which it seems criminal mischief would generally be considered.
We also have a new administration enforcing rules a bit differently than in the recent past.
I'm not sure anyone can say for certain what will happen, but it appears to me your offense was likely reduced to a level that will not interfere with your visa.

Back