Personal Bankruptcy Does interest accrue while waiting for litigation to end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkahlona

12 or 13 years ago, I filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. I also had a personal injury lawsuit against the City of New York; a trustee was assigned. Today, 13-14 years later (seriously), I have had my day in court and have won my case. My attorney informed me that the trustee claimed there was enormous debt ($200K! I know that is not true! My debt was never more than my teacher's salary at that time. The debt then was only 40K, including a state backed student loan.) I believe that "enormous" debt now is interest accrued. My question is: Does interest accrue on the debt while waiting (14 years) for the resolution of litigation? The debt was discharged by the court. I do understand that if I won for over 100K, I had to pay back my creditors. But why should the interest on the debt accrue, as well—especially 14 years of interest? I went bankrupt for one amount and now it seems I have to pay triple the amount. It seems that the persistent court approved delays by the city attorneys have perhaps cost me more than simple repayment to my debtors. Fairness does not seem to attach in this situation. Could interest be forgiven or negotiated? I ask these questions on this forum because my PI attorneys haven't a clue because they have to wait for the trustee to answer these questions, who is forever slow to do so, if at all---after all, this is the trustee's award for his clients—the debtors. No one has answers for me! Yet, everyone, except for me, will make out financially fat, and I'll still have my pain and suffering to pay for out of pocket. Please help with an answer: Does interest accrue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back