Does company policy trump collective bargaining contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klmundt

I am a Teamster working for a distribution company, and I am required to spend one or two nights a week out of town. Our union contract states very simply, and vaguely, that the company will pay for room and board for out-of-town drivers. My company however will only reimburse us for no more than $10 per meal. If I spend $7 for breakfast, I don't get a $3 credit for lunch or dinner. If I spend $18 for dinner, I'm out of pocket $8. Our company creates these policies, it appears, on a whim. The latest being that now they will only reimburse a cap of $400 in a calendar month. These are all unwritten policies. The company instituted these policies several months ago, and I've not been reimbursed the full amount spent from the beginning. Can I collect for past reimbursements, or just going forward?

Last edited:
Company policy does not supersede items provided for in a CBA.

That said, I don't know (nor do you need to tell me), what is in your CBA or company policies.

You should discuss items of concern with your shop steward or union representative.

Last edited:
Agreed. You should definitely speak with your local union representatives.

It would appear that the local would have good grounds for filing a grievance and, if necessary, prevailing in arbitration. If the company previously reimbursed its employees for the reasonable costs for a meal while they were at work out of town, then the employer would appear hard pressed to implement a unilateral change to this practice which contravenes the language in the CBA.

Obviously, your contract spells out those terms or it is covered by local practice. Read the contract, ask your BA or steward. If the company is paying wrong, grieve it. Likely, you only have 30 days to file a grievance, so retro won't be happening beyond that. A $10 meal ticket will buy 2 decent fast food meals. The company is required to feed you, not wine and dine you. I make a killing on my food, by carrying my own.

Last edited:
Now admit how often you eat for free at the continental breakfast!!! I eat there often before work.

Last edited:
Believe me, the company does not "wine and dine" me. The hotel I stay at does not have a continental breakfast bar. My union BA isn't interested in helping us few that this applies to. As far as taking food with me, another company policy is that all meal receipts must be computer register generated (no handwritten ones), and must be within a couple of hours of a normal meal time. That's right, my company tells me when to eat now too. Where I live, $10 will buy 1 fast food meal, with a dollar or two left over that, as I've stated above, I won't get credit for. However, since I have a desire to live beyond the age of 45, fast food meals twice a day isn't an appealing idea.

Are you covered by a white paper contract or a national/regional agreement and local supplement? Can I access it online? Your BA should be pushing for clarification of work rules, if they are not in place.

It is just a local contract, covering two companies with about 300 union personal. Nothing national. We all agree our union BA should be doing a hell of a lot more. I've gone as far as I can with him, so I'll have to be going over his head. I'm sure that won't sit well with a few of my "union brethren".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back