Medical Malpractice doctor's obligation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellencho11

I went to a doctor for a yearly checkup. At the end of the visit , she sent me to the lab for blood work. She knew that in her office group, that these would not be filed as part of that check-up, and would be billed separately. They seemed routine to me , so I went to the lab and had them done. ( just checking basic things, not testing for any unusual disorders). I was billed $200 for them. My yearly check-ups are covered at 100 % by my insurance, for tests , labs , exams, etc. I didnt expect her to understand what my insuance did or did not cover, but she coded them to differently from the yearly check-up which is what created the bill.

Do doctors have any responsibility to inform you that tests they are ordering, will be billed separately from other parts of your exam. If I went to for an oil change and tire rotation for my car, if they decided to do anything else, they would ask me first, and let me know that there was an additional cost involved. Do doctors have any responsibility like that, or are they exempt from anything of that sort.

Thanks for any information you may have on this topic.

Generally the costs are not the responsibility of the provider; any co-pays or additional charges are your responsibility.

Having said that...you might be able to call your insurance company and have them remove the charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back