Do you have to go with the police for questioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samtha25

I have a general question, spawned from watching too many cop-lawyer shows on TV.

If police come to your home, place of employment, or whatever, do you have to go with them when they say they want to question you "down at the station" (the station is always "down")? I've noticed that if you're the typically middle or upper income suspect on Law & Order, the cops usually make a request, but if you're the typically low income suspect on NYPD, the cops haul you off with something like "you're coming with us". But, in one episode of Law & Order, someone they wanted to question said, "I don't have to go with you", to which the cop replied, "Actually, you do."

From reading about some high-profile cases in the news the last couple years, it appears that the police cannot compel you to talk with them. Is that, in fact, the law? Is it dependent on jurisdiction or other circumstances?

Last edited:
Unless the police are making an arrest or pursuant to a warrant, they cannot make you "go downtown." Perhaps on the show you watched it is possible that the lower class defendant may have uttered a statement that gave the police the justification they needed to make an arrest, e.g. admitting openly that they have a gun and used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back