Do we have any Hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigcarper

I'll try and keep this as short as possible. I moved to Texas from Uk, my then fiancee and
I rented a apartment with 12 month lease, we paid around $1100 in deposits. we resigned a 6 month lease in May 2005 our lease ending beginning November 2005.
In August 2005 I was offered a dream job starting 19th Sept 2005. Not wanting to loose our deposits we went to talk to the leasing Manager before 30 days notice were due, to ask about our best options.
We told her our situation and even offered to pay Novembers rent up to the end of the lease which would have been about $700, she told us not to worry about it because she(HERSELF) wanted to move in to our apartment on Oct 1st,so technically we wouldn't be breaking our lease. So we handed in our notice.
All went well and we made our move on 17th Sept,leaving the apartment in a spotless condition.
About 2 weeks we recieved a invoice from the leasing agent with all kinds of charges..$590.75 re-let charge,$1088 Accelerated rent,and various other little charges. After our deposits we had a invoice for a outstanding $746.78!
I called the leasing manager to question this, she told me that since our conversation back in late August,she had changed her mind about moving into our vacated apartment and till somebody else rents it we will be charged accelerated rent up to the end of the lease. Have we got any lawful rights with her going back on her word? In the long run it would have been cheaper for me to carry on our lease till it expired!! We just feel they are doing everything in there power to not release our deposits!
Any suggestions would be greatfully recieved.
Thanks
Lee and Lorie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back