Do they have a case against me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brittany05

So I'm being threatened to be sued unless I pay someone's medical bill they think I caused, which is a few thousand dollars. I am a full time student and am not working.

First off, they have no police report. Secondly, the only witnesses of us fighting physically were my drunk friends, and one mutual drunk friend. They vaguely remember what happened, but no details. Then, I know the "victim" has no photos of injuries because there were none anyway when I ran into them 2 days later. This was already 2 months ago now..but I know the statute of limitations is 2 years here in California. Do they have a case against me? They have to prove I did indeed cause the need for their surgery and even I don't know if I was the cause or not, as it's not something like broken bones or something that normally would come out of an assault.

In the case I did be taken to court and lost, my mother has various accounts she's set up for me for my retirement later on which are under my name. If I changed all my accounts back to her name, in the case if I did lose in court and I'm over 18, can they still find a way to get money out of me if I don't have anything to my name? I also have a roth IRA account I can not touch. Can they take money out of there? What about a joint account I have with my family? It's actually their money, not mine - my name's just included that's all.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back