Do Repairs Need to be Rendered Before Damages Can be Collected?

T

Tuez La Lune

Jurisdiction
California
Hi there!

About a year ago, someone clipped the front bumper of my car (which was parked on the street) while they were pulling a car out of their driveway. They left a note with their phone number, and after some initial indications of goodwill, the woman quickly tried to make herself disappear as soon as she realized offering a couple hundred dollars wouldn't fix the damage to the bumper.

Skip to now, after many attempts to locate this lovely woman, and I finally have all the info I need to file my claim against her (full name, address, and possible places to serve her), I just have one question before I file: do I need to actually get the car repaired in order to receive damages from a small claims award? Or will an estimate from the shop suffice?

In short, I'm a student six figures in debt and don't want to have to pay up front for someone else's damage just to succeed in court, but if that's what's necessary, I'd like to do so pronto before the SoL elapses (3 years here I believe). I've put this off long enough for lack of funding, but I'd rather bite the bullet and struggle financially now than be stuck with this woman's selfish idiocy indefinitely.

Thank you very much in advance for your time, and I hope you have a great day.

All the best,
G

An estimate from a reputable shop is sufficient.
If you intend to go down this path have a plan for how to collect. She may not show up in court and may not pay willingly.

Hi there!

About a year ago, someone clipped the front bumper of my car (which was parked on the street) while they were pulling a car out of their driveway. They left a note with their phone number, and after some initial indications of goodwill, the woman quickly tried to make herself disappear as soon as she realized offering a couple hundred dollars wouldn't fix the damage to the bumper.

Skip to now, after many attempts to locate this lovely woman, and I finally have all the info I need to file my claim against her (full name, address, and possible places to serve her), I just have one question before I file: do I need to actually get the car repaired in order to receive damages from a small claims award? Or will an estimate from the shop suffice?

In short, I'm a student six figures in debt and don't want to have to pay up front for someone else's damage just to succeed in court, but if that's what's necessary, I'd like to do so pronto before the SoL elapses (3 years here I believe). I've put this off long enough for lack of funding, but I'd rather bite the bullet and struggle financially now than be stuck with this woman's selfish idiocy indefinitely.

Thank you very much in advance for your time, and I hope you have a great day.

All the best,
G

Don't delude yourself, buddy.
Even if you prevail, which you probably will, you won't ever collect a dime.
You need to insure your vehicle FULLY to avoid these hyenas that destroy other people's stuff.

Fewer than 5-10% of small claim litigants ever collect a dollar on their judgment.

Back