Do not feel safe anymore, can i legally break lease because of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wifey

Hello, Im in Ga.

I want to know if i can legally break a lease without paying the rest of the lease off if i do not feel safe in my apartments anymore. The building next door is full of teenagers who stay out there all day and night selling drugs, we hear gunshots almost every other week, the police are at the building next to us about every other week, i am a 19 year old pregnant female and when i go outside to walk my dog, these guys eye me and look at me like they are gonna hurt me or something. I've got car key scratches all over my car, my mothers car has a rag top and someone slashed it trying to get in.
The family who lived across from us just moved because their car was broken into 3 times, the windows smashed, they had their gps taken and the hsuband had all of his work tools taken resulting in about $4,000 of things lost. Plus, she told me someone tried breaking into her apartment a couple times, and this is right across from me! We had neighbors for one day, their car rims got stolen the night they moved in and the left immediately. Half the apartments in my building are empty from people moving because of things like this and i do not feel safe, i am alone for most of the day and these kids know which apartment i am in. I do not want to move to another building in the complex, i just want out, and i don't want to have to pay the rest of the lease. this is getting ridiculous.

Can you please help me with some advice? I would really appreciate it.

So you want to hold the Landlord accountable for the area being crime ridden? Unless the lease clearly states they will provide a safe crime free enviroment its not likely you can legally break your lease.

No, im not holding the landlord responsible, im just saying that i don't feel safe anymore, the neighborhood isn't anything like it was when we moved in and instead of them moving me to another building or something i'd just like to be out of my lease. I just feel that i shouldn't have to pay to stay somewhere i dont feel safe at. is that wrong?

Since you don't want to take my word for it, which is fine. What legal grounds do you feel warrant a breach of contract and thus warrant you leaving without penalty? As you have already been told the Landlord cannot be responisble for crime in area.

Not feeling safe really is not a good enough reason. Because you have a hunch your neighbors are up to no good does not mean you are in danger, plus your landlord has no obligation to "protect" you or make you feel safe, you just have to practice good common sense.

Have you complained to mgmt about all the crime and police reports? It sounds like some onsite security might be warranted. You can see if your city or state has a landlord/tenant mediation dept and see if they can help you.

It wasnt that i wasnt taking your word, i appreciate your advice and said thank you i was just wondering if anyone else had anything to say.

Thank you both.

ok jacksgal, u are very rude, Wifey is looking for advice not a [deleted].

Last edited by a moderator:
My touchy feely font must be missing. Listen wifey got a legally accurate answer if wifey cant take that I am sorry it doesnt change the answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back