Other Immigration Law Do I need the immigration to know about my criminal charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bela

I was arrested for shoplifting about five years ago but charges were reduced to disorderly conduct (Michigan Legislature - Section 750.167) and I had complete 1 year of probation. Prior to I was arrested my family had applied for status of adjustment through my father on employment basis in 3rd category. I have I-512 advance parole. I think it's consider as under adjustment status. Our biometrics and interview was conducted in 2009 prior to this arrest in my criminal background. We were told everything seems fine and approved but it has been five years and we have not received our green card as there are no Visa available. This is where I need help of an expert to see if this charges will affect any of this and can possible deny me from getting a green card. I have never mentioned Immigration about this as this all happened after we applied for adjustment of status, and after the biometrics and interview. Do I need to let immigration know about this voluntary? or wait until they ask for information.

I am sure I will need to conduct another biometrics when Visa will be available and this will come up to them as new information. When we applied for status of adjustment back in 2007 I answered no to any of the criminal related questions. But since I got arrested after not sure what I need to do and how that will affect. I have advanced parole and work authorization (G28, i-131 &i-765) which we renew every year but those do not ask any criminal background related questions. I am not sure if I should consider expungement or if that will help at all.

You need to let them know voluntarily. Any crime for which 1 year or more can be sentenced is automatically considered an episode of moral turpitude. 2 of them and out you go. I suggest you obtain an immigration lawyer.

I was arrested for shoplifting about five years ago but charges were reduced to disorderly conduct (Michigan Legislature - Section 750.167) and I had complete 1 year of probation. Prior to I was arrested my family had applied for status of adjustment through my father on employment basis in 3rd category. I have I-512 advance parole. I think it's consider as under adjustment status. Our biometrics and interview was conducted in 2009 prior to this arrest in my criminal background. We were told everything seems fine and approved but it has been five years and we have not received our green card as there are no Visa available. This is where I need help of an expert to see if this charges will affect any of this and can possible deny me from getting a green card. I have never mentioned Immigration about this as this all happened after we applied for adjustment of status, and after the biometrics and interview. Do I need to let immigration know about this voluntary? or wait until they ask for information.

I am sure I will need to conduct another biometrics when Visa will be available and this will come up to them as new information. When we applied for status of adjustment back in 2007 I answered no to any of the criminal related questions. But since I got arrested after not sure what I need to do and how that will affect. I have advanced parole and work authorization (G28, i-131 &i-765) which we renew every year but those do not ask any criminal background related questions. I am not sure if I should consider expungement or if that will help at all.

Trust me, the AUTHORITIES are more powerful than Santa Claus and much smarter.
They already KNOW what you've done, so tell the truth.

It would be much easier for you and your family if you simply OBEYED the law.

Think about it, just don't steal, and don't break the law if staying in this country is important to you..

It isn't hard for me to behave myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back