Do I Need A Lawyer/Can I Get Jail Time???

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorriednNC

:confused: Here's my situation: I have 2 tickets in 2 different counties for some odd reason I didn't appear in court for those tickets. They occured back in 96, I want to take care of those tickets so I can get my license back. Once I get a court date and show up, what will the court do with me? Basically I want to know will they arrest me. I am willing to pay my fines off, but I'm worried that I will be sent to jail. Should I get a lawyer or will it be ok for me to take care of it myself? I know that I need to ask for PFJ in both those tickets to avoid points on my license and on my insurance. Any advice would be grately appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

If you don't appear in court and you ignore these tickets then if you are pulled over in these counties then you will be arrested as well as given jail time. If you take care of these in a judicial manner you should only recieve small amounts of jailtime and/or fines.

Thanks for your advice, but I find it hard to believe with all the serious crimes going on in the world that I would have to do jail time. Not that I'm trying to justify my actions, because I was wrong! But, jail time seems so harsh, and it has me worried! Just the thought of me having to go to jail makes me physically sick to my stomach! So, should I get a lawyer? Would the representation help my case?

It's true that you probably won't be given any jail time if this is your first offense. But contempt of court is no cake walk.. You basically said, "Screw You" to the judge and his court by not appearing. For 1 count of contempt you are usually looking at $600 cash fine. If you can explain a pretty good excuse, you may get by. What were these, traffic tickets? If you were given traffic and you paid them, you don't have to appear in court. If you wanted to fight them and you missed court then you should get a lawyer's advice because he could save you some money. You won't do jail time though so don't worry about that. You may be given probation and community service and the fine though, depending on your age and occupation.

I have found that in larger counties you can even pay the fines before the court date (contempt charges included) and not have anything to worry about. The contempt charge on traffic citations are just a way to add money to your fine. I have never seen a person jailed for contempt on traffic citation's in this state. Although your license could be suspended or a warrant could be issued for your arrest to get you to pay the fines.

You know I laid in the bed last night, trying my best to remember those tickets and I can't. The only thing I can remeber that was going on in my life during that time was the fact that I was out of work on a Dr's leave because I was mentally stressed out, he had placed me on Prozac, but I don't want to go to court and say that. I don't want the judge to think I'm trying to use the insanity plea, because I wasn't insane. But, then again I must've been crazy not to show up for court. It wasn't until 2001 that I finally realized what was wrong with me, anyway, 2002 I had brain surgery. So many memories are lost. I am willing to do whatever the judge wants me to do as long as I don't have to go to jail. I think I will get a lawyer because that would probably be in my best interest, a lwayer could help my case out better than I can. Last night while thinking what I would say to the judge I was so nervous and sick to my stomach. Anyway, thanks for all the advice.

If it's any help, the judge you will be seeing has seen and heard it all. Don't give him excuses unless you really believe them because he will see through them.

No, trust me, I'm not going in court with any excuses at all. I plan on going in there with a lawyer (because I feel that's in my best interest) and pleading for mercy, willing to do whatever I can to avoid jail time. I simply want to straighten this mess out so I can get on the right side of the law, because I realize the seriousness of my situation. Again, thank you to everyone that took time out to comment on my situation, it was greatly appreciated. :)

Good luck worried. Let us know how it works out for you.

So what was the outcome?

Did you go to court?

Hopefully you did and were contrite, judges can read through BS and jove no patience for it.

Good Luck!

Good News

I came back to report that I now have my license back and my driving record is clean. I had to pay my fine in Wilkes County. Then I went to Forsyth County and my case....failure to appear on a DWLR was reduced to "Impropver movement" and I was fined $260. In Alamance County I got a PFJ and was fined $110. In Guilford County my case was completely dropped, I was charged with "Failure to Appear on a DWLR as well, I didn't have to pay a fine. I had a lawyer for the Alamance County case because I feared being locked up, he only charge $375, the other cases I represented myself. At the DMW I paid $50 to get my license reinstated and $15 to get a new license. I'm so glad that I can put all that mess behind me and drive at ease and not get all nervous and jittery when a police officer is behind me. The odd thing, before I got my license back the police would always have license checkpoints on the main street off of my street, now I can't run into a license checkpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back