Owner Change Do I have to leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

zprewitt

I wasn't able to pay my rent at the first of the month when it is due but I have now and the owner of the complex is still evicting me and this is my first time ever being late

You only have to leave if a judge orders you to leave. A landlord can't order you to leave. The LL must go to court and seek a court order for the sheriff to evict you.

If you've paid in full, the LL accepted said payment, no judge will evict you. But, make sure you pay on time in the months ahead.

Keep in mind that you are posting this on the 24th day of the month when your rent is due on the first day of the month. IF the landlord is going through the eviction process and it has reached the point where he/she has filed for this through the court system...and there is a hearing set up....you will be notified of this. Show up for this hearing with the rent money AND any late fees as required in your lease AND the court costs in cash (no checks) and tell the court you are ready to pay for all of this to avoid the eviction. Failure to show up for the hearing will mean that the landlords request for the eviction will be granted by the court.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back