Do I have to check my LLC name availability in all the 50 states?

Satya T

Jurisdiction
California
Hello

I am about to start an LLC and have a question. If I choose my company name as 'Galaxy' (for example) and register the LLC in California, will I be able to expand my company's operations to other states in the future without worrying about the name being taken by someone else in the other state? What if someone in Illinois also has a company registered with the name Galaxy LLC? Will I not be able to operate in Illinois with the name 'Galaxy'?

If I choose my company name as 'Galaxy' (for example) and register the LLC in California, will I be able to expand my company's operations to other states in the future

Of course.

without worrying about the name being taken by someone else in the other state?

No. There will always be "worry" that another business has the same name.

What if someone in Illinois also has a company registered with the name Galaxy LLC? Will I not be able to operate in Illinois with the name 'Galaxy'?

Depends on what each business does.

Using your example, if you are Galaxy Shoes and there is already a Galaxy Shoes in Illinois, you are likely to be infringing. Ditto Galaxy, LLC.

You might want to add something between Galaxy and LLC to differentiate your business.

If I choose my company name as 'Galaxy' (for example) and register the LLC in California, will I be able to expand my company's operations to other states in the future without worrying about the name being taken by someone else in the other state?

No. It's entirely possible that someone in, e.g., Virginia, could create an LLC with the same name, and your California registration of your LLC won't prevent that in any way.

What if someone in Illinois also has a company registered with the name Galaxy LLC?

Then someone in Illinois will have an LLC with the same name as your California LLC.

Will I not be able to operate in Illinois with the name 'Galaxy'?

Entirely possible that you won't.

Depending on what exactly you hope happens in the future with your business, I suggest you confer with a local business attorney for advice that's not based on hypothetical names.

Back