Do I have any rights when it comes to lender negligence?

yuliherr

Jurisdiction
Wisconsin
I am hoping to get some answer on what my rights are as a consumer for a mortgage loan. I know the Loan Officer owes me no fiduciary responsibility but I was hoping to see if there was anything that may have been violated.

I initiated a pre approval on February 1st with Loan officer A. He ran my credit report and advised us what we needed to accomplish to get pre approved. We paid off the credit cards and student loans that he mentioned for me to take care of to get me below the debt to income ratio. As the months went by I paid those off and provided documentations for proof. At that time he advised me that I still needed to pay additional debts off my debt. He even mentioned that if the car my spouse and I own was just in their name it would release more availability for the debt to income ratio which will guarantee me an approval as he said he ran the numbers with it off. He didn't directly tell me to do it but I can see he was implying it. So we traded the car in and was able to get another vehicle in their name but we also spent an additional 4K dollars in doing so. The whole time the Loan officer was not giving us an actual pre approved number. He stated it would be pre approved for 100k then after 105k then after 135k and so on. Finally I found a house and was ready to put in an offer but I needed the pre approval documentation from the lender. I told him the house was 122k and he said he guaranteed me a loan for 140k but he is only going to write the offer for 135k so that the seller doesn't know how much I am approved for as far as negotiations goes.

Finally we put the offer in and after some back and forth we came to an accepted offer on 6/28. The offer to purchase was submitted to the loan officer and we proceeded. I paid my earnest money of $1000 dollars as required and paid for an inspection. The inspection was done on 7/5 and report was sent out on 7/7. I emailed my loan officer multiple times from 7/7-7/15 and called in between with no answer. At this time we needed for the appraisal to be done so we can proceed. I contacted the loan officer to see where we stand in the process as to any updates. The seller needed to know when the closing date would be. We were unable to reach the loan officer as both party tried to contact him. Finally on 7/18 we were informed by the seller realtor that they spoke with the Loan officer and reached a closing date of 8/22. So I called the loan officer and ask if we have sent the appraisal to be done because I'm waiting to pay for the appraisal process so we can proceed. At this time I asked him again about the closing date and he said it won't be done for another 60 days. So I questioned him why did he tell them 8/22 was the closing date but by him saying it won't be done for at least another 60 days that would of made the closing date to be 9/17. He said don't worry about it he will make sure it gets done as soon as possible. I then said he needs to give me a straight answer as I have already signed the offer to purchase amendment for closing date on 8/22. He then told me "I got you bro". A couple days goes by and i have not heard from him about the appraisal. I contacted him again by phone and email. No response for another week. Finally he calls and said I sent you the loan documents to sign and that he sent the appraisal. We get the loan documents and it was for an FHA loan. From the beginning we discussed about there neighborhood program which is a conventional loan with only 3% down. In the offer to purchase FHA was striked as to say the contract is only accepted if it's a conventional loan. So I called him back and emailed him again asking why is this a FHA loan. Again no response. Finally he calls on 7/28 and states he is no longer working there and that he can take our files with him to a different company that he is going to and finish it up there. I told him no and that I was going to proceed with another loan officer at the same company because we were already at the end of the process.

So...we finally called and emailed another loan officer. Loan officer B now and she took over the file. Pretty much having to redo the entire process all over again. Now we sent everything in repeatedly to this person. She requested our W-2 and tax documentation like 5 times through email and I have all emails that I sent her for all these requests but she keeps blaming me that I was holding up the process. When clearly everything came in a PDF format and even on those emails she confirms that she has received it. Now she is telling me that I am not approved because I don't meet the debt to income ratio. So we go through everything all over again through email. I never even met this person because she never has time for that apparently. Then she says we are good to go and she will send the apprasier. A week and a half goes by and no response from her. Emails after phone calls and no response. Finally she calls and said she will send the appraiser. This is now 8/10. I asked her if we were gonna close on 8/22 and she said no. So then we had to amend the offer to purchase contract again to a different date. But now she doesn't even want to give me or both parties a closing date after they asked her repeatedly that they need a closing date. She then threw a number which was 8/31. She said that it will not be done by that time but they needed a date so that was the date she gave them . After all this she stated we are good Togo and that everything was going to underwriting. After we signed all the loan documents and underwriting states we only qualify for 115k and we need to pay off an additional 3k in debt. This is now today 8/24. So now it looks like we may not even get approved for the house unless we cough up another 3k dollars to pay off a debt. I asked why was this never shown to us or why no one was ever clear on what we approved for and what we needed to do.

Did the lender treat me unfairly? Do I have any room for legal actions here?

If you don't have promises in writing, you have nothing.
When seeking a loan, especially a mortgage, IF you're told to do this, do that, fix this, etc., to get the loan, that's a very bad sign.
You can expect not to receive the loan, after jumping through their hoops, notwithstanding any alleged oral promises.
Bottom line, your loan was doomed to never be approved.
The lending "officer", I prefer the term "slave catcher", will say anything to keep you on the hook.
You should have moved on until you improved your financial standing.
Lenders are peculiar these days.
You can't just meet a minimum standard and expect to be approved.
Besides, it's better for you this way.
Home ownership is nothing but credit servitude for life for most people.
You own NOTHING for 30 years, if your used home survives three decades.
You're not a homeowner with a mortgage.
You're simply RENTING the home for 30 years until you pay it off.
That's the day you become a homeowner.
A mortgage is akin to 84 month car financing, mate, a deadly, devastating trap!!!
A mortgage is simply a slick way of having you indebted for life.

I see nothing in your post to indicate you were mistreated.
You were simply naive.
The good news, you're not locked into a lifetime of credit slavery on a house that probably would have created bigger financial burdens for your family.

If I were you, I'd run away from this mess that will cause you great pain if illness strikes, jobs are lost, wages are cut.

Start saving as much money as you can.
Instead of paying the minimum on a massive mortgage, pay yourselves by saving.

You'll be surprised how quickly you can amass $50,000, then $100,000 if you pay yourselves with the regularity a lender requires, while living frugally.

Did the lender treat me unfairly? Do I have any room for legal actions here?

To the first question - yes, and likely incompetently but to the second question, no, for many of the same reasons cited by Army Judge.

What escapes me, though, is something you haven't mentioned.

These "loan officers," were they employees of a local bank or credit union that you met personally with at a branch of that local bank or credit union or were they employed by a "mortgage loan broker" a company that serves as a middleman between mortgage companies and borrowers?

What was your credit score prior to Feb 1 when you started all this?

Were any of your debts past due?

You apparently had some significant cash reserves if you were paying off loans (especially student loans) left and right.

I have a feeling that you may have just picked the wrong method of seeking a home loan.

Thank you for the information. My credit score in February was a 680. At the very beginning I had them run a credit report on me to see where I stand to see what is needed of me to take care of so I can obtain a loan. I had money saved up and wanted to make sure I pay off certain types of debt to fit the debt to income ratio criteria. Everyone I have spoken with clearly explained to me that they are doing everything backwards. They should of never gave me a pre approval letter if nothing had fit the criteria yet. They stated that under writing is simply just double checking all the information I submitted to make sure it's true and accurate. Since I put my offer on this house and it was accepted I have had nothing but a bad experience with Loan officer B. It's frustrating to myself and all parties involved. I don't know why they did not tell me upfront if all the issues they had with my pre approval or if nothing was satisfied for me to receive a pre approval loan doc. So basically they gave me a pre approval without even looking at any financials I submitted when they requested it. It's frustrating because now we are nearing the end of the process and it's always one thing or the other that keeps popping up. I don't know how many times we have sent in the same information that they requested. It's like Everytime I get an email from the loan officer it somehow ends up having to pay off this debt or that debt and that debt and so forth. I don't understand why they were unable to see the numbers were not going to match up and they could of told me I was not approved. That would of been fine with me. But when they gave me a pre approval letter I'm assuming everything is good to go on my end. No, that was not the case. They gave me a pre approval then decided the only way I can get approved is pay off this debt and that debt and this other debt and this other one. To top it off it was never a one time thing. I would pay off one debt as requested by loan officer b then a week later she would send me another email saying I needed to pay off this other one and so forth for another continuing 3 weeks. One of the issues at that point was do I have proof of funds to satisfy the closing costs and down payment. I was short a couple thousands now after I just spent almost 10k satisfying the debt they requested. Then I had to wait a week for my check to be deposited so it will then have enough to verify funds. Finally that was satisfy and when I thought everything was done she then brings up the issue of home insurance saying I need to get home insurance and pay off the annual premium. I'm like WTF now. The annual premium is 1k. So that's going to bring me below the proof of funds now again. So I told her I can't do that and we'll have to wait until closing date for me to pay off that annual amount along with the other closing costs. I don't understand why she is just bringing up issues one thing at a time instead of saying here is what needs to be done. Now let's make sure this is done within a week so we can move forward. What's so hard about that but I guess you guys are right. They had me in already and they already knew I was in too deep at this moment to back out and find a new loan. This is not a credit union that I was using. It's a regional bank in the Midwest and the loan officer works directly for that bank. Now we had to extend our closing date yet another time for the 3rd time. I was supposed to be out of my place on 8/31 because the original offer to purchase contract had a closing date of 8/22 which the loan officer A had implied to the sellers realtor.

While I'm certainly sympathetic (I've had many home loans and plenty of issues with lenders) all I can suggest at this point is that you slog on through this morass and BUY THE HOUSE.

Once you've done that you are free to determine whether you have any monetary damages to sue for that were directly caused by the lender's employee negligence.

Is this your first home purchase? If it is, you are likely to purchase homes on several more occasions in your life and you'll know the ropes when you do.

For example, someone with a 680 credit score has "good" credit (not "very good" 700-759, not "excellent" 760 and up) and could be considered borderline by the lending industry and could be expected to jump through hoops to qualify.

For another example, the homeowner's insurance requirement is universal. You have to submit a paid up one year policy and the insurance portion of your mortgage payment goes toward the following year. I've had to do that on every house I've ever bought (except for the one I'm in now that I paid cash for). You'll be prepared for that with your next house.

You're right, you're in too deep to back out and start all over. As long as the seller is OK with extending the closing date, you need to push on, regardless.

The best revenge you can ever have against a lender is to pay off your loan as quickly as possible and get out from under the lender's iron fist.

Use the following amortization calculator to show how fast you can pay of a loan with even a $50 or $100 additional payment to principle every month.

Mortgage/Loan Calculator with Amortization Schedule

If you are going to do that, start with the first payment because your first couple of years your payments are mostly interest and the additional payment to principle does more good the earlier you start.

There is no better feeling on earth than the euphoria of knowing your house is paid for.

Last edited:
Back