1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Do I have any options ?

Discussion in 'Protective & Restraining Orders' started by Randomperson2408, Jun 1, 2019.

  1. Randomperson2408

    Randomperson2408 Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Six months ago I was arrested for domestic assault against a blood related family member. Short story- the victim and I were in an argument and regretfully I shoved the victim. No injury occurred but the victim called the police and claimed they feared for their life. I was charged with disorderly conduct and the no contact order against the victim was lifted. The day that the no contact order was lifted the victim began to text my phone. I did not respond to any of the text messages from the victim over the span of two months. I changed my phone number and got out of the shared cellphone contract so they could not contact me further. The victim uses a third party (my wife) to relay any information that was crucial for example being in a cellphone contract together that has now ended. My wife did not want to speak to the victim either, so she cut ties as well, so then victim used other family members to try to contact. The victim has made up stories needing my assistance to try to get me to contact them (which I have ignored it had my wife figure out on my behalf), only for me to find out I was not needed or the information was false and I did not need to contact them. At this time there are no ties other than blood relation to the victim. I have not contacted or responded to the victim since the incident in any shape, way, or form. The victim was told via third party that I did not want contact. The victim/family member has begun to show up at my job. I work in a department store and have not disclosed my recent disorderly conduct charge. The victim has not seen me as I have spotted them first and hidden myself. I am at the point where I am considering quitting and finding a new job as I want no contact with this person. Since this is a department store that they have frequented before the incident I can not rightfully state that they are only there to visit me, though that is my suspicion. I have made myself scarce to avoid any contact but this is a regular occurrence seeing them at my job when I am working. I am concerned that they will approach me at my job in order to force contact. I am worried that approaching my boss with the issue will negatively affect my work environment. Do you have any advice for any options I may have ?

    Thank you
  2. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Always attempt to follow your first thought.

    If one wishes to make herself/himself scarce, one should do so forthwith.
  3. leslie82

    leslie82 Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    If you can afford to quit and easily get a new job, do that. Otherwise, go to the courthouse and ask for the forms to fill out a protection order. Then you go in front of a judge to grant a temporary order and they determine if it qualifies for one or not. If yes, you have a court date set for a permanent one. If no, talk to a lawyer after that.

    Why would telling your boss you have a stalker negatively impact? That's a shitty boss if they do. I would tell them so they are aware now and not wait until it blows up.

Share This Page