Do I have any legal recourse? Cal State University Student

A

Angrystudent

Jurisdiction
California
Might be a long shot,

My academic advisor has given me terrible advice about how to get through my undergraduate program. She specifically told me that I needed to take certain classes and not others, then flipped and said I did the wrong thing and need to take about ten different classes. Other advisors have taken her side. I have some, but not extensive, email evidence of this. She insisted we contact one another primarily by phone.

I have way more than enough credits to graduate. I'm working towards a humanities degree so it's not like I'm a Physicist trying to skip Calculus 3. At this point, I was supposed to graduate in December, she even inexplicably helped me fill out my graduation application, but due to following her advice it looks like I'll be in school an extra year.

Is there anything a lawyer could do for me in this case?
I'm not looking to sue my school. I'm more interested in having an advocate who can help me navigate this relationship in which I am powerless.

Any advice is most welcome.
Thanks

Is there anything a lawyer could do for me in this case?

No, even if you had millions of dollars to spend on hiring an entire law firm.

Even if a lawyer could help, herding a lawsuit through any court system requires time, time that isn't dictated by your lawyer.

In addition, your student handbook and/or other documentation speaks to the obligation your university has to you regarding the part any advisor plays in your graduation.

Some colleges speak about "glide path to graduation", meaning you track your progress and effort required to graduate on a certain date.

I see no legal remedy available to someone stuck in your position.

Sorry, but no. When you started with the degree program I am certain you were given a list of requirements. Advisors are there to help, but you are an adult and ultimately you are responsible for taking the courses you need to graduate in the timeframe you wish. I am not sure how one could be off by 30 credits, unless the 10 classes was an exaggeration. Talk to the head of the program/dean and see if any of the courses you did take can count toward your goal.

ElleMD

I appreciate that you took the time to reply, but I resent the implication that my predicament is due to childishness. I'm a transfer student from out of state, and transferring classes into my program requires the assistance/permission of an adviser. I relied on her bad advice and it cost me a lot of time and effort.

It's good to know I have no legal recourse. I can focus my energy elsewhere.

Back