Do I have a legal right if I've been giving money to my partner(cash) for rent and he has not paid.

Andrecl2003

Jurisdiction
New York
I have a situation where I have allowed a guy I've dated for almost 6 years and I trusted him as most people do in a new relationship. I pirchased a car in my name and the avreement was for him yo make the payments each month as I was not ready to enter in such obligatory agreement as My plan was to register for classes and continue my education which he knows is very important to me.
The decision to get the car was due to an abrupt awareness of his car being reposessed and I figured, the person that I am, need to step up to the plate and opted to get a car as his job was farther.
Fast forward a few years I noticed behaviours of his that made me hypothesize that was not a fair person and he has obsessive/ controlling traits. He has embarrassed me and has done things that rendered me comromised financially.
I told him that we should take some time apart and live in different dwelling until we figure out what we both want. He said he does not believe in that and he would not conform to such request.
I was firm with my decision and as a result he became vindictive. He took some of my belongings and stopped paying the rent and car payment,which was in my name .I have been giving him cash towards the monthly rent and had no reason to believe that not having a papertrail would compromise my case in the future. After not paying the rent for 3 nonths, there was a notice on the door regarding the past due balance.. I was shocked to say the least, moreover, there was a summons given to us and he hid it from me so as to compromise me by my not showing for Court. I have asked him if there was any court date and he said no and that there was no notification left at the door.
Upon seeing some of these seeminly vindictive behaviours I decided to inquire from my landlord office about all notices given to us since the ordeal started.
I discovered that not only were we giving a summon weeks prior, but a court date was in 2 weeks . I asked again if he knew anything about a court date and he failed to reapond.
What legal right do I have for my financial damages that I have Acquired as a result of me having to pay thousands of dollars to avoid a reposession on my credit. As a result, I have maxed out my other credit cards. I am now in a serious financial situation and a damged credit that I have worked hard to avoid iver the years. while he secretely found an apartment and purchased a new car his name now that he has built his credit ( for which I assisted over the years).
Not only is it shocking to me that someone could be so evil but more shocking that it is only because I chose to not be with him and that I lived with someone for years who is capable of such psychotic acts.

You have nothing upon which you can prove your assertions.

Your best course of action is to begin repairing the damage done to you.

In the future, don't lend anyone money.

Don't ever buy anyone a car, if you expect the person to repay you.

Keep your finances private, and never give money to a lover!!!

The responsibility for the car was always yours.
You may have great difficulty proving you ever gave him any cash for rent.
The good news here is that you've apparently already reached bottom and are on the way back up. Also, he is already gone so you don't need to worry about getting rid of him.
What you want is your money back. Don't get your hopes up. You've learned a lesson the hard way... People suck.

You can stop making foolish financial decisions. Why on earth would you entangle your finances with someone you barely knew but who had a vehicle repossessed?? It boggles the mind. If your name is on the lease, you are responsible for it. Whatever agreement you worked out with this dude has no bearing on your financial responsibility. YOU signed a lease agreeing to pay. YOU bought a car for someone who didn't pay for his last one. YOU stayed in a relationship with someone who was vindictive, controlling, and financially irresponsible. If you wanted to end the relationship, it ends. He doesn't get to veto that unless you let him. It would have been far better to break the lease or not renew, and move out.

There isn't much you can do about the marks on your credit other than pay what you have agreed to pay to your various creditors and be much wiser in the future.

I pirchased a car in my name and the avreement was for him yo make the payments each month as I was not ready to enter in such obligatory agreement as My plan was to register for classes and continue my education which he knows is very important to me.
The decision to get the car was due to an abrupt awareness of his car being reposessed and I figured, the person that I am, need to step up to the plate and opted to get a car as his job was farther.

So...basically, you bought a car for your boyfriend and relied on him to make payments even though his prior car had been repossessed? Is that about right?

I have been giving him cash towards the monthly rent and had no reason to believe that not having a papertrail would compromise my case in the future.

No reason? You mean other than basic common sense?

What legal right do I have for my financial damages that I have Acquired as a result of me having to pay thousands of dollars to avoid a reposession on my credit.

You're free to sue him but he seems like a deadbeat, so I wouldn't hold out any hope of actually collecting anything if you get a judgment. On the other hand, you have the car. It's titled in your name, right?

Back