Medical Malpractice do I have a case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasoninSB

on april 21st I Feel from a roof resulting in me breaking a bone in my wrist called the scaphliod bone. I went to the local emergency room that day and was assisted with an xray that determined the break and then they put on a temporary splint to assist until I could be seen by an orthopedic phisician. I went to visit with the orthopedic on april 27th at this time the doctor reviewed the xray and agreed that the scaphliod bone had been broken he then had a full arm cast put on and informed me that the possibility for surgery was about 90% nessesary I was told to return to this phisician on may 24th for a followup to see if there was any progress and if not then I was to be scheduled for surgery,although on may 24th when I arrived for my appointment I was informed that the phisician could no longer see me due to my insurance changing, I was instructed to visit my primary doctor for further assistance or to get a referal, so after leaving I contacted the doctor and informed the receptionist about my situation I also informed her that I was scheduled to possibly have surgery and that the day prior to me going in for the scheduled follow up my cast had got fully submerged in water when I had accidently fell of the dock while fishing resulting in my cast becoming soft and unsupportive it was to the point that it was falling appart, she told me that I could come in that day to sign some papers and then they could offer treatment,I was instructed to go to another xray tech to get another xray because the doctor said if my bone was still broken that I should definately have a cast on it until they could determine a sollution. After visiting with the Xray tech I asked him if I was going to be getting a cast fro him or where I was to go from there? His reply was that it was clear that the bone was broken and that a cast would be needed but that he doesnt do the casting He told me that the xray was going to be sent to the doctor to review and that the doctor would be contacting me either later that day of in the morning, so I then gave the doctors office three phone numbers to reach me at my home number, a message number and a cell phone number that I always have with me. After two days passed without a call from the doctor my girlfrien called the doctors office she was able to speak to a receptionist who stated that the doctor was busy at the time and that she was unable to provide us with any information on when the doctor was going to see me,she told us that she would leave a message for the doctor to contact me. Since that time nine more days have past resulting in a total of thirteen days without a cast or any form of support, my wrist has been in constant pain and I am phisically unable to move my wrist up or down or to the side my wrist is totally unusable and there is discoloration in my hand from the lack of blood circulation. So my question is, what should my next step be? and do I have a case of any kind?

well, your health should always come first, so you should try to see a different physician asap, probably to get a cast, and if you cannot be seen soonest you should go to the ER to get a cast and whatever is necessary. Pain always is a sign that something is wrong.

It is a little harder to say if you have a case. Medical malpractice means that the doctor's conduct was unreasonable in comparison to what a reasonable doctor would have done in the same situation. So to determine if this doctor was unreasonable, one would have to know what really was the medical condition, what did the x-rays show and what would normally have been done. This can only be evaluated by a a review of the medical details by someone who knows what he is doing: a doctor or a med-mal-practice lawyer and his expert staff. If you go and get it fixed now, the new doctor who will finally fix it might already give you a hint: if he says something like "you should have come in weeks ago, how could you wait that long..." you might want to see a lawyer afterwards :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back