Personal Bankruptcy Do I have a case OR what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceroach32

Ok here's the deal....

1. Neither my husband or I have filed for Bankruptcy EVER.

2. In Aug 2002 -A certain Credit Card confused our file with someone who did (even lived in a different state).

3. We received a letter from a Sr. VP stating "...as our records reflect the account was not included in a bankruptcy filing as of the date of this correspondence. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused." We were assured that this ERROR had not left in house.

4. Aug 2003- applied for a low rate CC -was denied, because it shows on our Equifax that we are in bankruptcy with that one card (which we no longer have - they sold our acct to another cc company and we closed it).

5. We have contacted Equifax and have a "case" started. And have contacted the Credit Card Company to try and get this strianghten out, AGAIN. They stated that they have sent correction notices out on 9/15/03 to all 3 credit reports. (My husband is following up to verify this as I type this now)

My question is - do I have any legal recourse? :confused:
This BK should have never showed up on our Credit Report to begin with.

Thanks!

It is difficult to say what legal recourse you have for the mistake especially since in the end there might not be huge damages. You may have been denied for a low rate CC even without the bad credit report. If you want to go the full route it could well be that your efforts might exceed the return on the investment.

Originally posted by ceroach32
Ok here's the deal....

1. Neither my husband or I have filed for Bankruptcy EVER.

2. In Aug 2002 -A certain Credit Card confused our file with someone who did (even lived in a different state).

3. We received a letter from a Sr. VP stating "...as our records reflect the account was not included in a bankruptcy filing as of the date of this correspondence. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused." We were assured that this ERROR had not left in house.

4. Aug 2003- applied for a low rate CC -was denied, because it shows on our Equifax that we are in bankruptcy with that one card (which we no longer have - they sold our acct to another cc company and we closed it).

5. We have contacted Equifax and have a "case" started. And have contacted the Credit Card Company to try and get this strianghten out, AGAIN. They stated that they have sent correction notices out on 9/15/03 to all 3 credit reports. (My husband is following up to verify this as I type this now)

My question is - do I have any legal recourse? :confused:
This BK should have never showed up on our Credit Report to begin with.

Thanks!

Update

Within 14 days everything was taken care of. I was really upset that someone did their job incorrectly and I was the one who was pentalized, at least temporarily.

Thanks
-C

Re: Update

Originally posted by ceroach32
Within 14 days everything was taken care of. I was really upset that someone did their job incorrectly and I was the one who was pentalized, at least temporarily.

Thanks
-C
Good to hear!!!! :D Thanks for letting us know... and yes, I know exactly how you feel... but at least it was only temporary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back