Do I have a case for small claims?

Status
Not open for further replies.

afaight8

I have a question regarding a joint title on an automobile. A short background on the situation; I purchased a vehicle in 2002 as the primary signer on the car loan with my ex as the co-signer. The title was put in both my name and my ex's for insurance purposes. I paid the vehicle loan off in 2006 and have since taken over the car insurance. At this point, my ex refuses to transfer the title solely to me. I'm unable to sell the vehicle or trade the vehicle in towards the purchase of a new one because the title is in both our names.

My ex did not pay a dime on this vehicle. She also mentioned, in the prescence of a third party, that she would sign the vehicle over to me once it was paid off. I contacted her three weeks ago to get the vehicle signed over. She refused, stating that she now wants me to consolidate two of my student loans (which she co-signed) before releasing the title to me. This was never a condition to have the vehicle signed over previously.

Do I have any rights? I would think since I can provide proof of payment, that I would be entitled to full ownership? If that's not the case, do I at least have the right to force the sell of vehicle? If so, what do I specifically file in a small claims court?

Thank you for your advice,

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back