Business Contracts Do emails hold up in a court of law ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosebudgirl1

Hello,

My name is Savannah; I own a business here in Montana. I was contacted a few months ago by a company who wanted me to join as a partner with them. The partnership consists of them selecting which of my products (or special made) they would like to feature in one of their monthly sample boxes that go out to customers and featured in their magazine as promotion worldwide. I then provide them with (full size) samples and in return they promote. So my issue is that I have entered into this agreement and have made 400 full size samples which they rushed me to make by a certain dated deadline, which cost me thousands in product and paid for a new logo so they could have my products well featured in their magazine only to not have them fulfill their end of the partnership. They are just starting out so all the agreements have been through email which I have kept every one of them. A few weeks back when I sent them my new logo I asked them to send me the contract, as I am not sending out all these samples until the contract has been signed. They said they were having their Lawyers write up a contract and that it would be ready by a certain date which they specified, so I waited and still no contact. Now they are not responding to any of my emails or phone calls. I have thousands of dollars in a special product that I have made for them just sitting, and more money that I spent on the new logo. I want to know if they fail to contact me and I take them to court for reimbursement for my work will these emails still hold up as a legal agreement in court?

Thank you,

Savannah B

Emails aren't contracts.
You can breach a contract, not an email.
The emails would most likely be considered a promise.
If the other company is outside of Montana, you can forget doing much.
If they're in Montana, you could TRY to sue them in small claims court.
If I had been in your position, I'd have done NOTHING until I had a signed contract.
The next time, act after you possess a signed contract.
You can discuss this matter with a local attorney. Good luck.

Most courts do not consider e-mail binding contracts - not signed & dated by parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back