Medical Malpractice Do doctors need permission to sedate a patient?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rv123

Jurisdiction
California
When my mother was a patient, they made me the one to make decisions on her behalf, yet, they did not ask my permission to sedate her. They did that when I wasn't there. Did they have a right to sedate her without my permission? The doctor on the phone told he she was 'unresponsive', but the nurse had told me she had been sedated. When I told that to the doctor, he dismissed it and began to discuss something else because he was anxious to perform surgery on her and was focused on that.

Did they have a right to sedate her without my permission?

Professionals, licensed professionals, have a wide degree of discretion when it comes to carrying out their duties they've chosen to undertake for their clients or patients.

This latitude is even broader when it comes to exigent circumstances.

No, the physicians attending to your mother's medical care didn't need to consult with your for each and every aspect of her treatment, and breached no duty by sedating your mother without your express permission.

Note, that freedom would apply even IF you were your mother's legal guardian.

However, your mother's contiunued admission to the facility illustrates a desire to be bound by the constraints of ethical and legal standards of medical care.

Sedating a patiens isn't an experimental procedure, rather its an accepted, long established treatment protocol for medical practitioners.

Professionals, licensed professionals, have a wide degree of discretion when it come to carrying out their duties they've chosen to undertake for their clients or patients.

This latitude is even braoder when it comnes to exigent circumstances.

No, the physicians attending to your mother's medical care didn't need to consult with your for each and every aspect of her treatment, and breached no duty by sedating your mother without your express permission.

Note, that freedom would apply even IF you were your mother's legal guardian.

However, your mother's contiunued admission to the facility illustrates a desire to be bound by the constraints of ethical and legal standards of medical care.

Sedating a patiens isn't an experimental procedure, rather its an accepted, long established treatment protocol for medical practitioners.
Thank you for your fast reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back