Permanent Residency do debts or bankruptcy affect green card immigration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

visaQ

I have been outside of the USA for quite a while and may be deemed to have abandoned my residency, although I think I qualify for a returning resident SB-1 visa.

If one applies for a new green card with a new petition, or if one applies for a returning-resident SB-1 visa, is there any problem coming as an immigrant if one has debts in the country one is immigrating from?

I am not referring to a case of simply leaving the foreign country without coming to some kind of arrangement for the debts with the agreement of the creditors (either paying them more slowly, or having part of the debt officially written off), or doing anything illegal. Simply my question is, does the fact that one has debts, or has even declared bankruptcy, have any effect on one's ability to become a permanent resident?

When I filled in one of the forms for my permanent resident card before or after the interview at the US Embassy, I seem to vaguely remember having to tick some boxes saying something like, I don't have any legal action or prosecution pending against me, etc., but I don't remember if having debts of any type, or bankruptcy, was a factor.

I assume that immigration law does not normally 'care' if one has debts, but I wanted to make sure.

Thank you to everyone for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back