DMV Hearing in NC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncwaterwagon

I was ticketed in Atlanta, GA a little over a year ago for speeding 78 in a 55. I live in NC and I recently recieved a letter informing me that me license had been suspended for six months. The letter was mailed out on December 16th, 2004. I was out of town at the time for the holidays. I returned home on the 2nd of January, 2005 to this letter, which informed me of the suspension. The letter stated that I could recieve a preliminary hearing if I notified the DMV prior to the effective date, which was December 25th, 2004. When I returned home I called the DMV and was given a regular hearing scheduled in a week and a half. I have a few questions: Am I still eligible at this point to ask for a prayer for judement? What should I expect in this hearing? What can the hearing officer do to affect the outcome of my case or how much power do they have over the final outcome? Should I consult a lawyer in my area? Can I apply or appeal for a restricted license to drive to and from work and school?

This is one of the dangers of just paying a traffic ticket without knowing the consequences.

Prayer for judgement is only for NC tickets and you have already plead guilty to the Georgia ticket.

"Should I consult a lawyer in my area?"

Yes. An attorney should be able to get the suspension lifted. Remember that you have to pay a reinstatement fee to the DMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back