divorcing an alcoholic-custody question

Status
Not open for further replies.

amaya

My husband is a functioning alcoholic. I am tired of the lies and manipulations. He has 1 DUI and is always driiving under the influence (we have a breathalizer). I am scared that if I divorce him, he will have the kids on the weekends. He goes to bed every night by 8:00 or 8:30, and sleeps so deeply you can barely wake him. Our young (3 and 4) children could be left unattended for long periods of time due to this. When he is awake, he is often drunk. He thought it would be a good idea for our 4 year old to come help him with power tools after 4 beers last week. His judgement is poor, and he spends very little time interacting with the kids, and he is often drunk, though most people wouldn't know it. We have been in therapy for over a year, and he has admitted that he has a problem, and says he is going to stop. Though he is the weakest person I know, and I find it unlikely he will succeed. What do I do regarding the kids?
I am also concerned about our finances. He is taking money out of our account without telling me, we almost bounced our mortgage check. I am also afraid that if he kills someone on the road we could get sued and lose our house. Can I take his name off of the house???

you cannot take his name off the house unless you refinacne into your name only ans also remove him from the mortgage.

You can certainly ask that he have supervised visits, and take a urine sample to see if he has been drinking.

My father is currently divorcing my alcoholic mother. He consulted his attorney over similar worries about my mother drinking and driving and killing someone and then getting sued. His attorney told him they could lose everything if someone filed a lawsuit against her and won. The best way you can financially protect yourself is to divorce him.

As far as the children go, as a daughter raised by an alcoholic, I can say that your job first and foremost is to protect your children, and leaving them alone with your husband is putting them in great danger, both physically and emotionally. I wish you luck.

I have no real legal knowledge, I just know what I have experienced. I hope you find it helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back