divorce

browna5

Jurisdiction
Ohio
I and wife of 25yrs are getting divorce and we have legal custody of my grandchild. Am I able to ask for support

I and wife of 25yrs are getting divorce and we have legal custody of my grandchild. Am I able to ask for support

Just whom do you believe is responsible for paying you support and why?

Interesting question. Bears looking into.

Give us some background.

When you say "legal custody" what do you mean? Is there a court ordered guardianship? Did you adopt the child? Something else?

Why have you had custody all these years?

What happened to the parents of the child?

Why aren't the parents of the child contributing to the support of the child?

yes there is court ordered guardianship. Child was in foster care

both parents gave up custody

both were ordered to pay support, one never paid, other stopped paying due to loss of job

spouse because we had custody of child since she was18mths, who is now 12 and I can't afford it by myself

Who says you are going to be awarded sole custody? Someone will pay child support and the judge will determine who does that. It might be you.

There are official Ohio Child Support Guidelines that the courts use to help determine the correct amount of child support. These guidelines are based on a prorated share for each parent of the combined net income of both parents. These guidelines are followed, unless the parents have agreed to a child support amount on their own, or the court finds these guidelines unjust for a particular case.

Back