Divorce

Tyoung79

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
I'm trying to get a divorce from my abusive husband, who has been incarcerated for the last ten years. I've only spoken to him over the phone twice since 2008, when a friend of mine decided I needed to speak to him and gave him my phone. During one of the phone calls he informed me that he has had another child with the mother of his first son. I had my phone changed the same day. I have filed the divorce and I'm doing on my own because I can't afford an attorney. I figured he would sign the papers and mail the waiver back to me so I could get a court date. When a month went I called the jail where he is located and the public notary there told he he said he would not sign, that he is to be released on the 22nd of this month and wanted to come to the court for the divorce. He also tells her that he wanted to discuss the matter with me and she gives him my phone number. So now I don't have a clue what to do next? The courts here are very rude and won't point me in the right direction.

No one can prevent their spouse from divorcing.
You don;'t need a signature.
You would be a fool to "talk" to this felon.
Change your number and stop giving it to anyone who don't trust implicitly.
Or, get one of a dozen great number blockers, and use it.
I have one and its set up ONLY to accept calls from those on my "white list", as in approved contacts.
All other callers get blocked, and their calls don't go to voicemail, if you have the right call blocker.

So, you show up in court, request your divorce, he says his piece to the judge, you listen, the judge will give you your divorce eventually.

Here's how you DIY "divorce in TN:
This cite charges, so be sure to do due diligence:
3Step Divorce Online: Tennessee Divorce Forms Online
This site is administered by the TN State Courts discusses how you obtain forms online from the court for free:
Self Help Center | Tennessee Administrative Office of the Courts

Back