Divorce in Rhode Island

Bobbyfbrown

Jurisdiction
Rhode Island
Im kind of in a bind and really need help with my forms. I live in Massachusetts but im filing for divorce in Rhode Island. The residency requirements there are that one spouse must have lived in the state for a year prior to filing, which my spouse has. However, the first line of the Complaint asks me to verify that ive lived in the state for that period. Do i leave it blank?

Where it says ____________, S.C. And Case Number. Do i leave those blank?

Also, we don't have children so do i need to file the forms regarding children with N/A or not file them at all.

My last question pertains to the financial form. I filled it out to the best of my knowledge but there is a part on the top for total liabilities but seeing as i didn't list any Im not sure whether to write N/A or leave it blank.

Im sorry to put this on you guys but im filing Monday and haven't been able to afford a lawyer so doing it myself has been tough. Any help would be awesome and Id be forever grateful.

Thank you for replying. From what I read here it seems as long as the defendant meets the requirements, I can file there.

TITLE 15
Domestic Relations

CHAPTER 15-5
Divorce and Separation

SECTION 15-5-12

§ 15-5-12 Domicile and residence requirements.

(a) No complaint for divorce from the bond of marriage shall be granted unless the plaintiff has been a domiciled inhabitant of this state and has resided in this state for a period of one year next before the filing of the complaint; provided, that if the defendant has been a domiciled inhabitant of this state and has resided in this state for the period of one year next before the filing of the complaint, and is actually served with process, the requirement of this subsection as to domicile and residence on the part of the plaintiff is deemed satisfied and fulfilled.

Thank you for replying. From what I read here it seems as long as the defendant meets the requirements, I can file there.

TITLE 15
Domestic Relations

CHAPTER 15-5
Divorce and Separation

SECTION 15-5-12

§ 15-5-12 Domicile and residence requirements.

(a) No complaint for divorce from the bond of marriage shall be granted unless the plaintiff has been a domiciled inhabitant of this state and has resided in this state for a period of one year next before the filing of the complaint; provided, that if the defendant has been a domiciled inhabitant of this state and has resided in this state for the period of one year next before the filing of the complaint, and is actually served with process, the requirement of this subsection as to domicile and residence on the part of the plaintiff is deemed satisfied and fulfilled.

If you file, you're the plaintiff.

To be the plaintiff, you need to reside in RI for one year.

You reside in MA.

That's your problem.

You're misreading the words.

If you file, you're the plaintiff.

To be the plaintiff, you need to reside in RI for one year.

You reside in MA.

That's your problem.

You're misreading the words.

I mean no disrespect but am I misunderstanding this. Several sources online have said something similar.

Screenshot_20170811-140335.png

You can file based upon your current spouse's residency.

It is easier if she filed, if the divorce is uncontested and no minor children are involved.

It might be best if you considered filing in MA.

It is better to wait until you can hire an attorney.

If she hires one, this becomes even more risky.

NOTE: A court hearing may not be held until at least 60 days after the Complaint is filed. The judgment is not final until 3 months after it is issued.

Maybe this will help:

How to File a Divorce in Rhode Island

You can file based upon your current spouse's residency.

It is easier if she filed, if the divorce is uncontested and no minor children are involved.

It might be best if you considered filing in MA.

It is better to wait until you can hire an attorney.

If she hires one, this becomes even more risky.

Maybe this will help:

How to File a Divorce in Rhode Island

I am in complete agreement. Unfortunately, i can't rely on my spouse to do as you suggested. But you're absolutely right, it wound be much easier. Thank you though. I appreciate the help.

I am in complete agreement. Unfortunately, i can't rely on my spouse to do as you suggested. But you're absolutely right, it wound be much easier. Thank you though. I appreciate the help.

The divorce won't be quick in RI, if you decide to try it there.

If she contests it, it will even be delayed more than the statutory 60 days before the first hearing is held.

Why not file in MA, have her served her in RI, and see what happens?

If she's not agreeable to making the divorce easy, there will be no divorce the easy way.

I'm no marriage counselor, just a dumb, country Texas lawyer.

If you're rushing the divorce to marry another person, that can be disastrous, too.

If she's in another state, there are ways to get her debt monkey off your back.

If she left MA for RI for some other person, that makes filing in MA the best option.

You don't need money to talk to attorneys.

Most attorneys will meet with you once to discuss your problem for FREE.

You can learn a lot that way by investing some time for your problem.

The divorce won't be quick in RI, if you decide to try it there.

If she contests it, it will even be delayed more than the statutory 60 days before the first hearing is held.

Why not file in MA, have her served her in RI, and see what happens?

If she's not agreeable to making the divorce easy, there will be no divorce the easy way.

I'm no marriage counselor, just a dumb, country Texas lawyer.

If you're rushing the divorce to marry another person, that can be disastrous, too.

If she's in another state, there are ways to get her debt monkey off your back.

If she left MA for RI for some other person, that makes filing in MA the best option.

You don't need money to talk to attorneys.

Most attorneys will meet with you once to discuss your problem for FREE.

You can learn a lot that way by investing some time for your problem.

I didn't know that last bit so I think I will try and speak with an attorney about it. As far as her being difficult, she has been cooperative, I just can't rely on her to take the necessary steps and do it herself. And no, not rushing per se. We've been apart for 7 years. Im just a horrible procrastinator and im finally doing the responsible thing. I am, however, enlisting in the US Navy at the start of the new year so id just like to have this resolved. Would you be willing to answer some questions for me? I would be extremely grateful.

Would you be willing to answer some questions for me?

I will certainly try, so please ask away.

If I can't answer all of them, I'm sure one of our other posters will chime in and help.

I spent 30 wonderful years in the army, so I applaud you on your decision to become a member of our navy.

Two of our sons and one of our son-in-laws also served our great country in one of our military arms, too.

One thing is for sure, military life will eliminate the procrastinator in you. LOL

Back to your divorce.

It might be easier for you, since she also agrees with the divorce, to obtain it in MA.

You can probably get it done within 60 to 90 days (give or take), if you get busy on it over the weekend.

A MA divorce can take anywhere between 3 and 24 months depending on whether it is contested or uncontested.

The average uncontested divorce takes 3 months.

The average contested divorce takes 12 months.

The amount of time varies according to the judge, the county, and the will of the parties to speed things up or delay.

Divorce

I will certainly try, so please ask away.

If I can't answer all of them, I'm sure one of our other posters will chime in and help.

I spent 30 wonderful years in the army, so I applaud you on your decision to become a member of our navy.

Two of our sons and one of our son-in-laws also served our great country in one of our military arms, too.

One thing is for sure, military life will eliminate the procrastinator in you. LOL

Back to your divorce.

It might be easier for you, since she also agrees with the divorce, to obtain it in MA.

You can probably get it done within 60 to 90 days (give or take), if you get busy on it over the weekend.

A MA divorce can take anywhere between 3 and 24 months depending on whether it is contested or uncontested.

The average uncontested divorce takes 3 months.

The average contested divorce takes 12 months.

The amount of time varies according to the judge, the county, and the will of the parties to speed things up or delay.

Divorce

Thank you for your service and thanks for the encouragement. Both my father and grandfather served in the Navy and my maternal grandfather served in the Army. I am very much looking forward to serving our country.

I have only just legally moved to MA so I'm not sure if that matters but im assuming it does based on RI's residency requirements. I believe i have everything i need to file in RI but im confused about some parts of the forms. Basically what I mentioned in my initial post. They seem like clerical errors but I know they could be costly.

Look into sites like the one I've posted below.

I suggest you VET the sites before paying out one dollar.

Sites like these are useful and very cost effective in DIY divorce matters, offering customer service to help you with actually doing the work and forms.

Here are some sites that purport to assist you creating and filing for divorce in RI:

Divorce in Rhode Island | Rhode Island Divorce Forms

Uncontested Divorce in Rhode Island

Divorce in Rhode Island

Rhode Island Online Divorce

Divorce In Rhode Island | Rhode Island Divorce Papers

Back