Divorce Dilemma

Rudo Thomas

Jurisdiction
Texas
I live in Texas. I want to divorce my husband but my mother in law has 100% custody of our kids. She got the custody through false accusations on me and her son (my husband). I have gone to court numerous of time and lost so much money hiring attorneys and the courts didn't offer me any help, help was denied. My mother in law lets me and my husband stay with the kids on conditions that I remain married to her son, however he is very abusive and the mother knows that's why I want a divorce because he is abusive. I told her I want to divorce his son and she said to me if I divorce him then the kids will have to go and stay with her and her son is welcome to stay with her but I can't see my kids anymore since she has 100% custody. Please help me, what are my options what do I do to ensure that I also get to see my kids. Thank you in advance.

Please help me, what are my options what do I do to ensure that I also get to see my kids.

What were the reasons given by CPS AND the court for stripping you and your husband of your parental rights and giving them to your mother-in-law?

If you are being abused by any male, much less your husband, find the nearest womens crisis center or battered womens home and talk to a counselor about DOMESTIC VIOLENCE.

Yes, you want to be near your children.

However, if that means your abusive husband KILLS you, that will only hurt your children.

You need to get as far away as you can from the man that batters you.

You then need to get counseling to understand how to break the ties that could get you maimed or killed.

Get that divorce, ASAP.

Worry about getting your children back one day in the future.

If the THUG you call husband is kicking your ass, there is no reason on earth to stay near him, unless you enjoy having your ass whipped.

Get out today, worry about tomorrow later.

At least you'll be alive.

my mother in law has 100% custody of our kids. She got the custody through false accusations on me and her son (my husband).

Parents don't lose custody to a grandparent without some fairly significant evidence of wrongdoing by the parent. The fact that this happened makes your claim that this resulted from "false allegations" not very credible.

Please help me

I'm not sure what sort of help you're seeking or think that folks on the internet can provide. The only meaningful thing anyone here can suggest is that you consult with a local family law attorney.

what are my options what do I do to ensure that I also get to see my kids.

You're going to need to seek a court order that either terminates/reverses the grant of custody to your mother-in-law or gives you the right to visitation with the kids.

What were the reasons given by CPS AND the court for stripping you and your husband of your parental rights and giving them to your mother-in-law?

If you are being abused by any male, much less your husband, find the nearest womens crisis center or battered womens home and talk to a counselor about DOMESTIC VIOLENCE.

Yes, you want to be near your children.

However, if that means your abusive husband KILLS you, that will only hurt your children.

You need to get as far away as you can from the man that batters you.

You then need to get counseling to understand how to break the ties that could get you maimed or killed.

Get that divorce, ASAP.

Worry about getting your children back one day in the future.

If the THUG you call husband is kicking your ass, there is no reason on earth to stay near him, unless you enjoy having your ass whipped.

Get out today, worry about tomorrow later.

At least you'll be alive.
Thank you for your response.

This is what happened:My child came running to me with her eye swollen saying her father had beat her in the eye, so I called the police and they came with the CPS and removed me from the home and took me and my kids to the shelter. At that time I was a Green card holder and had to be with my papers on me at all times so I went back to the house from the shelter to try and get my documents, then the CPS came and took the kids away from me saying that I shouldn't have left the shelter . I tried to explain my situation but they couldn't listen to me, they said because I left the shelter that meant that I placed the kids in danger and was never to be trusted, that's how they took my kids and gave to my mother in law.

During the time the kids were with my mother in law; my mother in law told me that I should have never reported her son in the first and that she was going to do anything in her power to make sure that she gets custody of my kids. So she said a lot of lies just to get the custody. The court gave her my kids and me and my husband visitation rights however she quickly gave us back our kids saying she don't want our kids rather she will take the child support money and tax benefits every year. So my husband and I have been staying with the kids not my mother in law. When she feels like visiting other states she comes and removes the kids from school and takes them for a few months (3 months was the most) and asks for food stamps and other government support (even though I already pay child support) in those states and then brings them back. She is very unstable and she depends on child support and taxes to support herself. She took advantage of the situation and put false allegations on me because she was mad that I reported her son and now the kids have to go through all this because I reported her son. This is not fair and I will continue to be vigilant and work hard for justice to be served. I am thankful to everyone who took their time to send in a response.

Parents don't lose custody to a grandparent without some fairly significant evidence of wrongdoing by the parent. The fact that this happened makes your claim that this resulted from "false allegations" not very credible.

I'm not sure what sort of help you're seeking or think that folks on the internet can provide. The only meaningful thing anyone here can suggest is that you consult with a local family law attorney.

You're going to need to seek a court order that either terminates/reverses the grant of custody to your mother-in-law or gives you the right to visitation with the kids.

Thank you for your response.

Back