Divorce based on abandonment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Needlawhelp

Jurisdiction
United Kingdom
In December 2015, my estranged wife was arrested for criminal damage and has not returned to the family home. in May of this year, I got a text from her to say she's got a new husband and he's much better than me (I still have the text messages).

Whether it's true or not, our relationship is over and we need to formerly finish it. I've sent her text messages for an address so that we can start the divorce proceeding, and she has not given me one. I have sent her extended family asking for an address in regards to divorce and they have ignored my messages too.

I have employed the services of a couple of enquiry agent, who have both come back and said they are unable to trace. I have written to the government organisation, where you pay £50 and they look to see if they can trace her through benefits, tax payments etc.. but I'm pretty sure they will come up blank too, as the child maintenance service cannot trace her due to failed maintenance payments (we have two children together).

If as expected they come up with a blank, what would be my next step? At what point can I get a divorce without her being present. I have two children and need to move on, and can't really do that without formerly ending it.

My second question is the division of assets.. we don't have much in the way of assets but we put aside £36k for our children in her bank account(which she took with her), in addition to that I have £10,000 in loans. Even if a divorce is granted without her being present, is this something I need to bring up ? or this should be done at a later date when she is found ?

I'd be really greatful if someone can give some advice regarding these two questions.

You'll need to contact a barrister/solicitor in your jurisdiction and ask them your questions. This site deals with US law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back