Divorce and E-Visa

Status
Not open for further replies.

useless_one

Hello!

I'm goimng thru a divorce and have actually one question and may later some more :rolleyes:

Me and my wife got married April 2006 in Germany (we both are germans).
We had been together for 4 years before we got married.
I got a joboffer from my company here in Chicago, IL and I accepted it.
So I'm here on a E-Visa and my sppouse is dependen on this as well.

I heard that she has to go back to Germany when we are divorced as she is only dependend on my visa.
Could it be, that she would have to leave the country as soon the divorce was filed? Or finally, when all is taken care of and we official divorced?

Hope this is understandable... :confused:

useless one

This is not legal Advice!

Yes is the answer to your question, after you are officially divorced she would have her status changed as she is not longer a dependant to you and would have to depart to the country she arrived from.

Take this on board with you as well, as you are the MAIN visa holder it is your duty to inform the immigration of such changes, otherwise you will be in breach of your own visa regulations and could face lot's of problems in the future for not giving the immigration department the up dated information.

I hope this was easy to understand, sorry for your break up.

Take care

Mark.

Thanks for the fast answer @muggsyj.

So she has the right to stay in the country until the divorce is official.
We get divorced in Germany where we got married. And to get divorced over there, we would need to be separated for 1 year or min. 9 Month.

When do I have to inform Immigrations? When the divorce is over or should I inform them already since she moved out?
And whom I should inform over there?

Would it effect anything if I would tell immigratins that she used me to come to the U.S.?
Or should I keep my mouth shut about something like this, as it could come around to me somehow?

useless one

Sorry, my fault.

We are going to get divorced in Germany.
We are not planning to do this over here as it woud be to expansive and I do not know if it would be possible too.

useless one

This is not Legal Advice!

It matters not whether or not she used you to migrate to the USA, all that matters is you let the immigration you filled your claim with that your situation is about to change.

It is YOUR duty to inform that your status is or will be changing because if she potitions or dose anything wrong it will be down to you for not letting them know. Immigration do not take ignorance as a excuse.

Take Care

Mark.

Thanks!

How do I contact Immigrations?
Is it Homeland security or just via usimmigrattionssupport.com

Thanks!

This is not Legal Avice!

It depends on where you are? If you are in the USA, then you will have to find your local office you can try the internet for the address.

If you are back in Germany make sure you let your local U.S. immigration office know of the changes before you try to re enter the USA.

Good Luck

Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back