Distribution of estate via will or bloodline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

late

Jurisdiction
United Kingdom
Hi im hoping someone can help with a question based on UK law?

if someone dies and leaves a will, i understand that the estate should be divided according to the will, if there is no will then next of kin / bloodline would generally apply.

my questions are...... in these scenarios

scenario 1

Mrs "A" dies has no children but a spouse and say 2 siblings and 1 parent living but no will, her spouse inherits all her estate and her siblings and parent inherit nothing...... fast forward say 10 years.......... Mrs "A's" living parent dies with an estate value of say £30,000. how is the £30,000 distributed.........1- £10,000 to each sibling and £10,000 to her living spouse/widower OR 2- £15,000 to each sibling and nothing to her living spouse/widower?

scenario 2

Mrs "B" dies has 1 child, a living spouse and a living parent and say 2 siblings she also has a will splitting her estate equally (50/50) between her child and her spouse............ fast forward say 10 years.......... Mrs "B's" living parent dies with an estate value of say £30,000. how is this divied up? As per her will ie 50/50 so £15,000 to her child and £15,000 to her living spouse/widower or does it just follow a bloodline route and the living child inherit £30,000?

I ask this as tracing agencies never seem to be bothered if a will exists and only seem to follow bloodlines. so if a person dies and then inherits money, does the will and /or spouse not count and the money the deceased has inherited get passed straight down their bloodline.

any help on this based on UK law would be great
Many thanks in advance

1 - This site is devoted to US law so we can't answer UK questions.
2 - We don't do hypotheticals.

I'm sure that the UK has laws addressing intestate (die without a will) succession that you should easily be able to look up.

1 - This site is devoted to US law so we can't answer UK questions.
2 - We don't do hypotheticals.

I'm sure that the UK has laws addressing intestate (die without a will) succession that you should easily be able to look up.

Hi thanks for your reply, in the drop down box for jurisduction, the UK can be selected along with other countries. So i guess that should not be there if you only discuss uk law...... i also read on the forums other hypotheticals. In anycase my appologies i will delete my account kind regards

in the drop down box for jurisduction, the UK can be selected along with other countries.

The owner is working on getting that eliminated. Sorry for the inconvenience.

i also read on the forums other hypotheticals.

We try to avoid them, especially if they come in multiples, get very involved, and can be answered by a google search.

Try googling UK Intestacy.

The owner is working on getting that eliminated. Sorry for the inconvenience.

We try to avoid them, especially if they come in multiples, get very involved, and can be answered by a google search.

Try googling UK Intestacy.
Hi thanks again and no problem at all, i tried to delete my account but could not see an option, could you do this for me please?
Kind regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back