Disowned?

SkyycK

Jurisdiction
Missouri
Recently I came out as transgender to my mother and she says she'll never accept me. Is that technically disowning and if so, is it legal to leave the house after being disowned?

No, that is not disowning - that is being unaccepting.

The legality of moving out is based on your age. If you are over 18 you can go anywhere you want. If you are under 18 you stay where you are until the earlier of your 18th birthday or the day your parents give you permission to move out.

Recently I came out as transgender to my mother and she says she'll never accept me. Is that technically disowning and if so, is it legal to leave the house after being disowned?

Near the end of the US Civil war, slavery was outlawed.

No one can disown you.

People can refuse to associate with you.

Don't expect everyone in life to support every decision you choose to make.

If choosing to run away with a carnival and sell rides to carnival goers is your dream, don't expect others to be as excited about it as you are.

I've known people who told their parents they wanted to go to college, or medical school.

Their parents chastised them about college being for "bigshots". not "poor folk".

Yes, their parents began not speaking to them, and refusing to have them visit their homes.

Most of the things we choose to do or become, are best kept to ourselves, especially if our choices are controversial.

A very good Jewish friend of mine, chose to become Muslim.
His parents read him the riot act, and even took back most of the gifts they had given him.
He practiced the muslin faith for about five years, and returned to Judaism.
His entire family, refuse to associate with him to this day.

Choices, mate, life is all about the choices we make, isn't it?

If you are not within a couple months of being 18 you had better find a way to make nice with your parents or you will have a very rough road ahead.

I'd never tell someone not to be honest about who you are (love/believe/etc.) as long as you are physically safe. It is unfortunate that your mother can not accept you as you are, whether she understands it or not. If you are under 18, you are very limited in your options unless you are in physical danger.

Disowning isn't a legal term, though it typically means not acknowledging that person and not including that person in a will.

It isn't clear how old you are or how strongly your parent reacted to what you told them.
It may just take time to accept. You didn't just wake up one day and feel this way; it took a long time to make sense of it yourself and sort through those feelings. Establishing a support system is crucial. There are numerous websites and organizations that offer resources. One place to start is It Gets Better Project | Give hope to LGBT youth .

Back