Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct Disorderly Conduct Business Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonycim

I recently visited the US on business & holiday. I arrived in Friday evening, and joined some friends for a night out. On leaving a club at around 04.30 Saturday morning, I was pushed around by the doorman for no reason, I did not react violently & I didn't curse in any way. I asked not to be pushed around, and noticed there were a couple of NYPD officers standing outside, so asked them if they could get this doorman to back off. The officers told me to move along ... and as I did I commented "ok, don't shoot me" ... yes a stupid sarcastic comment which I probably shouldn't have made. However, next thing I knew they had me in hand cuffs and put me in the back of a police car! The whole time I was very polite, and didn't want to aggravate anyone, and asked to be released so that I could go back to my hotel. They took my name, and my hotel address, and after 10 minutes released me with a pink "summons" slip.

Being a UK citizen, I had / have no idea about US law, so went to see an attorney, who charged me $1000 and told me he would appear on my behalf to get the Disorderly Conduct charged lessened. As I was only there on holiday, I will not be around on the date of the court hearing/summons.

I have a few questions related to the above, and would really appreciate it if someone could give me their advice...

1) I visit the US every now and again (not Manhattan) for business, will the above disorderly conduct charge be recorded against my name anywhere? I mean when I enter the US on business, will they see from my name that I have had a disorderly conduct charge? (NO one took my passport number from me, and the officers even miss spelt my first name)

2) Do I need to declare the above as an arrest or anything else on my visa entry form (green slip) when I enter the US next time?

3) Will I have to go back to Manhattan to specifically appear in front of a court, or can the attorney do everything for me?

4) Could I have ignored the pink summons slip and just returned home, without any future repercussions for entry into the US?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

After 9/11, they don't play

I saw a guy put in shackles in JFK becasue he started mouthing off to a Flight attendant.

Conclusion

Just wanted to close this thread, by letting you all know what the outcome was. As mentioned, I paid $1000 for an attorney to represent me in court, since I could not be physically present (I am at home in the UK). When the allegations were read out, the judge apparently laughed, and after my attorney explained my situation, and argued against the accusation of disorderly conduct, the case was dismissed!

I'm glad to see that the American judicial system has a sense of humour, and that common sense and justice prevailed! For a while, I had lost faith in the US, and was feeling quite disgruntled with the NYPD! 2 months after they slammed the hand cuffs on my wrists, I still have numbness in my hand.... if only I had the time, money & balls to sue them...

Anyway this is the end of this thread as far as I am concerned. "Case Dismissed" !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back