Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders Disorder Conduct - Plead not guilty or guilty

D

deadboy

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
My girlfriend and I were having sex in a car. It was night time and you can hardly see inside of the car. I agree there were people walking by and resident area was about 100 feet away but I wasn't having sex in front of people intentionally. Police sent citation saying "in view of several public" and didn't mention car at all. I wasn't having sex in front of several people? There were couple people walking by but it was night time and hardly people can see inside of the car. We both are separately charged with Disorder Conduct Hazardous/physi Off .

Also if I plead not Guilty can they charge me with more (may be misdemeanor) if I was found guilty later during court date? Do I need a lawyer or I can go alone?

My girlfriend got same Non-Traffic Citation. And would it be in our records if people do background checks on us? Any suggestions on what should my girlfriend and I should do?

Can we Expunge our records if plead guilty? And how Soon?

First thing to do is to look at the statute and see what the words regarding public sexual acts or indecency actually are - specifically. I highly doubt you're going to have any case if you're going to plead not guilty because you believe the windows were fogged up enough to "hardly see" inside a car (which means you can see inside the care) and that you were fully aware of just how transparent the windows were from outside the car while you were in the middle of a sexual act in the car. Losing argument.

Pleading guilty doesn't really help you unless the DA will help you help make it easy for them. Perhaps you can get some type of alternative sentencing. Getting a period of probation whereby staying clear of offending the law results in the charges being dismissed. In such an instance you won't need expungement because technically you will have no criminal conviction on your record requiring expungement. (Different story about the arrest records.)

Pennsylvania expungement law provides the following:

§ 9122. Expungement.

(a) Specific proceedings.--Criminal history record information shall be expunged in a specific criminal proceeding when:

(1) no disposition has been received or, upon request for criminal history record information, no disposition has been recorded in the repository within 18 months after the date of arrest and the court of proper jurisdiction certifies to the director of the repository that no disposition is available and no action is pending. Expungement shall not occur until the certification from the court is received and the director of the repository authorizes such expungement;

(2) a court order requires that such nonconviction data be expunged; or

(3) a person 21 years of age or older who has been convicted of a violation of section 6308 (relating to purchase, consumption, possession or transportation of liquor or malt or brewed beverages), which occurred on or after the day the person attained 18 years of age, petitions the court of common pleas in the county where the conviction occurred seeking expungement and the person has satisfied all terms and conditions of the sentence imposed for the violation, including any suspension of operating privileges imposed pursuant to section 6310.4 (relating to restriction of operating privileges). Upon review of the petition, the court shall order the expungement of all criminal history record information and all administrative records of the Department of Transportation relating to said conviction.

(b) Generally.--Criminal history record information may be expunged when:

(1) An individual who is the subject of the information reaches 70 years of age and has been free of arrest or prosecution for ten years following final release from confinement or supervision.

(2) An individual who is the subject of the information has been dead for three years.

(3) (i) An individual who is the subject of the information petitions the court for the expungement of a summary offense and has been free of arrest or prosecution for five years following the conviction for that offense.

(ii) Expungement under this paragraph shall only be permitted for a conviction of a summary offense.

(b.1) Prohibition.--A court shall not have the authority to order expungement of the defendant's arrest record where the defendant was placed on Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition for a violation of any offense set forth in any of the following where the victim is under 18 years of age:

Section 3121 (relating to rape).

Section 3122.1 (relating to statutory sexual assault).

Section 3123 (relating to involuntary deviate sexual intercourse).

Section 3124.1 (relating to sexual assault).

Section 3125 (relating to aggravated indecent assault).

Section 3126 (relating to indecent assault).

Section 3127 (relating to indecent exposure).

Section 5902(b) (relating to prostitution and related offenses).

Section 5903 (relating to obscene and other sexual materials and performances).

(c) Maintenance of certain information required or authorized.--Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, the prosecuting attorney and the central repository shall, and the court may, maintain a list of the names and other criminal history record information of persons whose records are required by law or court rule to be expunged where the individual has successfully completed the conditions of any pretrial or post-trial diversion or probation program or where the court has ordered expungement under this section. Such information shall be used solely for the purposes of determining subsequent eligibility for such programs, identifying persons in criminal investigations or determining the grading of subsequent offenses. Such information shall be made available to any court or law enforcement agency upon request.

(d) Notice of expungement.--Notice of expungement shall promptly be submitted to the central repository which shall notify all criminal justice agencies which have received the criminal history record information to be expunged.

(e) Public records.--Public records listed in section 9104(a) (relating to scope) shall not be expunged.

(f) District attorney's notice.--The court shall give ten days prior notice to the district attorney of the county where the original charge was filed of any applications for expungement under the provisions of subsection (a)(2).

Rule 490. Procedure for Obtaining Expungement in Summary Cases; Expungement Order.

(A) Petition for Expungement

(1) Except as provided in Rule 320, an individual who satisfies the requirements of 18 Pa.C.S. § 9122 for expungement of a summary case may request expungement by filing a petition with the clerk of the courts of the judicial district in which the charges were disposed.

(2) The petition shall set forth:

(a) the petitioner's name and any aliases that the petitioner has used, address, date of birth, and social security number;

(b) the name and address of the issuing authority who accepted the guilty plea or heard the case;

(c) the name and mailing address of the affiant as shown on the complaint or citation, if available;

(d) the magisterial district court number;

(e) the docket number;

(f) the date on the citation or complaint, or the date of arrest, and, if available, the criminal justice agency that made the arrest;

(g) the specific charges, as they appear on the charging document, to be expunged;

(h) the disposition and, if the sentence includes a fine, costs, or restitution, whether the amount due has been paid;

(i) the reason(s) for expungement; and

(j) a verification by the petitioner that facts set forth in the petition are true and correct to the best of the petitioner's personal knowledge or information and belief. The verification may be by a sworn affidavit or by an unsworn written statement that the facts are verified subject to the penalties for unsworn falsification to authorities under the Crimes Code § 4904, 18 Pa.C.S. § 4904.

Additional information shall not be required by local rule or practice.

(3) A current copy of the petitioner's Pennsylvania State Police criminal record shall be attached to the petition. The copy shall be obtained from the Pennsylvania State Police within 60 days before filing the petition.

(4) A copy of the petition shall be served on the attorney for the Commonwealth concurrently with filing.

(B) Objections; Hearing

(1) Within 30 days after service of the petition, the attorney for the Commonwealth shall file a consent or objection to the petition or take no action. The attorney for the Commonwealth's consent or objection shall be filed with the clerk of courts, and copies shall be served on the petitioner's attorney, or the petitioner if unrepresented.

(2) Upon receipt of the attorney for the Commonwealth's response, or no later than 14 days after the expiration of the 30-day period in paragraph (B)(1), the judge shall grant or deny the petition or shall schedule a hearing.

(3) At the hearing, if any, the parties shall be afforded an opportunity to be heard. Following the hearing, the judge promptly shall enter an order granting or denying the petition.

(4) If the judge grants the petition for expungement, the judge shall enter an order directing expungement.

(a) The order shall contain the information required in paragraph (C).

(b) The order shall be stayed for 30 days pending an appeal. If a timely notice of appeal is filed, the expungement order is stayed pending the disposition of the appeal and further order of court.

(5) If the judge denies the petition for expungement, the judge shall enter an order denying the petition and stating the reasons for the denial.

(C) Order

(1) Every order for expungement shall include:

(a) the petitioner's name and any aliases that the petitioner has used, address, date of birth, and social security number;

(b) the name and address of the issuing authority who accepted the guilty plea or heard the case;

(c) the name and mailing address of the affiant as shown on the complaint or citation, if available;

(d) the magisterial district court number;

(e) the docket number;

(f) the date on the citation or complaint, or the date of arrest, and, if available, the criminal justice agency that made the arrest;

(g) the specific charges, as they appear on the charging document, to be expunged;

(h) the disposition and, if the sentence includes a fine, costs, or restitution, whether the amount due has been paid;

(i) the reason(s) for expungement; and

(j) the criminal justice agencies upon which certified copies of the order shall be served.

Additional information shall not be required by local rule or practice.

(2) The clerk of courts shall serve a certified copy of the Order to each criminal justice agency identified in the court's Order.

Back