Dishonest Probation Officers

F

frodiododo

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
My nephew is a long time drug addict. He is in his mid 30's and is staying with his parents. He has been incarcerated a couple of times and is currently on probation. His parents were told that if he causes any more problems or fails a drug test that he will be sent to prison. His father has informed the probation officer that my nephew is stealing money from him ($2,000.00 over the past week) and he did fail his last drug test, but the probation officer will not do anything. I suspect the probation officer. what can I do?

My nephew is a long time drug addict. He is in his mid 30's and is staying with his parents. He has been incarcerated a couple of times and is currently on probation. His parents were told that if he causes any more problems or fails a drug test that he will be sent to prison. His father has informed the probation officer that my nephew is stealing money from him ($2,000.00 over the past week) and he did fail his last drug test, but the probation officer will not do anything. I suspect the probation officer. what can I do?

The probation isn't dishonest because you believe he or she is dishonest.
If I believe myself to be 100 feet tall, I'd be delusional.
If the miscreant's father has been another victim of the miscreant's errant behavior, the father needs to report the matter to the local police or sheriff agency.
Once a report is filed, an investigation will commence.
The law enforcement agency will attempt to contact the alleged thief and his PO.

That's the ONLY way to initiate the process that COULD get the miscreant probationer arrested, and possibly revoked!

Even if the miscreant is arrested on a new charge, and the PO places him a "probation hold", he'll still be entitled to due process.
That means he innocent until proven guilty, not merely accused.
If he is convicted on the theft charge, that'll lead to more time.
His negative police involvement can be used at his revocation hearing to cause his incarceration on the old charge.

Why does this mean the probation officer is dishonest? You obviously don't know the process for these things do you?

His dad needs to call the police and report the theft. The probation officer probably filed paperwork on his failed drug test. The probation officer doesn't determine if he goes to prison.

Example: my ex is on probation in another state than where we moved to and he lives now. He's on an interstate compact. He got arrested last year after I called the police on him for taking my car without permission. He did a month because he also got another charge in jail but plead guilty and got time served. Then a week later, the state his probation originated in came and got him because they filed to revoke his probation. He spent two weeks there - they kicked him back out on probation and are waiting until the results of his current trial that's coming up to determine if they revoke it or not. He's been in two counties since we moved and in my opinion neither PO seemed to give a shit. The current one really doesn't care anymore because he's tried to get him sent back to the other state and they seemingly don't want him either.

There are probably a lot of things going on that you aren't privy to. Your nephew is a criminal and probably will always be a criminal as long as he uses drugs.

Back