Disclosure requirements for auto sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViolinDB

I recently purchased a car from a car dealership. On the purchase agreement, there is a section as follows:

(Below is verbatim from the document)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Seller discloses that:

The Vehicle was used as a driver training motor vehicle

The Vehicle was used as a leased or rented motor vehicle

The Vehicle was a factory buyback motor vehicle or was returned pursuant to the Kansas "Lemon Law"

**If no boxes are checked, to the best of Seller's knowledge, information, and belief, the Vehicle has not been used as a driver training motor vehicle, or a leased or rented motor vehicle, is not a factory buyback motor vehicle, and has not been returned pursuant to the Kansas "Lemon Law"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Each of the three statements has a check box at the beginning.

None of these boxes were checked by the dealership.

After I received the paperwork, I examined all the documents and noted the title indicated the first owner to have been "Enterprise Leasing Co SW" with an address in Wichita, KS. This was further substantiated by a CarFax report.

I have no problems with the car and am satisfied with the car. The fact that it was a rental car also does not concern me since I also purchased a 3 year maintenance agreement, so any problems are covered. I have had the car for less than two weeks and have not registered it yet.

What are the laws and/or requirements regarding disclosure by the care dealership, is this a legal issue, and should I pursue it? There is also a section for disclosure with regards to trade-in vehicles (which I did not have) and on the back, the possible consequences for failing to disclose defects are listed and they are, in my opinion, fairly serious.

What would your recommendation be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back