Disable

Leesa45

Jurisdiction
New York
My friend is disabled and partially blind in one eye.She homeless and lives with her sister.The sister now is trying to kick her out the home with her eight year old daughter and 22 year old daughter.She has no where to go till thr shelter helps her.Is it illegal to kick out a disable family member not on the lease?

She may have established rights as a tenant which requires notice of termination. Can't be sure without knowing more details but for immediate help she should be talking to local legal aid ASAP.

I don't know what you mean by "until a shelter helps her." Aren't shelters open all day to take people in when they arrive at the door?

She may have established rights as a tenant which requires notice of termination. Can't be sure without knowing more details but for immediate help she should be talking to local legal aid ASAP.

I don't know what you mean by "until a shelter helps her." Aren't shelters open all day to take people in when they arrive at the door?

She was denied shelter and waiting for a hearing because she was told she can stay with her sister.But her sister dont want her to stay with her and now harrassing her to leave.

She has no where to go till thr shelter helps her.Is it illegal to kick out a disable family member not on the lease?

No, its not illegal to EVICT a squatter.
Yes, it isn't illegal to kick a squatter out of your home.
The police will tell the woman if she were to call, its a civil matter, bets left for the courts.

No one would ever have to kick a deadbeat, mooch, ne'er do well, lay about squatter out of their home, IF they simply said to the brood or crew when asked, what was told to Joseph and Mary, "Sorry, I have no room to take you in."

Here's a thought, OP, you've got a big heart.
Why don't YOU take the "family" into your home, or give them a couple grand to pay for a hotel for a few weeks?????

Its not my family member..and second my friend not no leech n do help her sister..third..my friend is disabled n left her abusive bf in florida..and last you sure Cold hearted towards the disabled.

Its not my family member..and second my friend not no leech n do help her sister..third..my friend is disabled n left her abusive bf in florida..and last you sure Cold hearted towards the disabled.

It seems YOU are the stingy, cold-hearted one, because YOU refuse to help the disabled.

At any rate, not my circus, not my monkeys, not my problem.

You dont know my situation to be assuming but im going to leave it alone n not even bother to continue this with the likes of you.continue if u like but i dont have time for this childish crap with u...you a demonic child with issues..now dismiss yourself.no longer responding to u

You dont know my situation to be assuming but im going to leave it alone n not even bother to continue this with the likes of you.continue if u like but i dont have time for this childish crap with u...you a demonic child with issues..now dismiss yourself.no longer responding to u

Despite your refusal to engage with me, you just did. :rolleyes:

We're cold-hearted if we don't somehow manage to create a law that will prohibit your friend's sister from kicking her out or at least exclaim how rotten the sister is, and you want the sister to be forced to allow you friend and her daughter to live with her no matter what, but since she's not your family member it's not up to you to provide any assistance except to call strangers on the internet names.

I see.

I am disabled...... I was once told that i couldn't preform even the essential functions of daily life by my neurosurgeon. I was told by the doctors my left leg would just dangle without use..... its been 10 years. I still walk.... I still work..... I still enjoy life. Just because a person is disabled doesn't make them special. It seems your friend sex organs works. Why doesn't she attempt to find a job that can be done with her limitations?

There may be reasons of why her sister is trying to get her out. Maybe she is doing drugs. Maybe she isn't helping around the house. If her sister is working. Then the house should be spotless, dinner prepared every night.

The reason of my reply is simply to state..... being disabled doesn't make a person special.

Her disability does not entitle her to live with her sister, nor does her sister need to shelter the children, one of whom is an adult. If your friend is not on the lease, the sister may not have a choice in the matter as most leases preclude adults living there who are not on the lease and place limits on how long someone may be a "guest". If she is incapable of working has she filed for SSDI?

Back