DirecTV Stealing From Me

Bridgewater

I called and canceled my DirecTV service on June 25. On July 11 I was rebilled for my next month. I immediately called and said I canceled on June 25. They apologized, said they would refund me back to June 25th, but they never did.

After about 5 more phone calls and not getting anywhere I filled a dispute with my credit card for $29.97, the amount I should have been credited had they canceled me on the correct date.

Now they are just sending me a bill for the $29.97, the customer service agent says the system will not let them remove it and its going to get sent to collections if I don't pay it.

What's the point of disputing with my credit card if they can just rebill me? What should I do since I am right? What if they damage my credit?

What's the point of disputing with my credit card if they can just rebill me?

The point is that, if the credit card issuer finds you have a valid dispute, you won't have to pay the card issuer. You didn't really think that a finding in your favor by your credit card issuer was dispositive for all issues, did you?

What should I do since I am right?

You're obviously free not to pay the bill.

What if they damage my credit?

Keep an eye on your credit reports. If anything negative turns up as a result of this, dispute it. Familiarize yourself with the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (which will only be relevant if this is turned over to a third party collection agency) and the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

No one's going to spend any appreciable time or effort trying to collect $30.

What's the point of disputing with my credit card if they can just rebill me?

You dispute a credit card charge with your card issuer only to have the charge removed from your account.

If your card issuer charges the item back to the vendor, that in no way negates the debt.

The charge was removed, but not the debt.

Why?

The card issuer is not a party to your contract with the vendor.

The card issuer can't invalidate the debt.

A court of law can invalidate the debt, as can a federal bankruptcy court (which dissolves the debt).

What should I do since I am right?

You can begin the dispute process.

How do you do that?

That depends on what the contract says that you signed with the vendor.

You start by reading the contract, looking for "how to dispute a debt".

It might also be useful for you type the following (or copy and paste it) into any search engine:

------ DISPUTE A DEBT WITH DIRECTV --------

You'll discover results similar to these:

https://www.directv.com/content/dam...er_agreement_update/DTV_Arbitration_Forms.pdf

How do I get directv to recall a debt??? - myFICO® Forums - 3887554

Directv collection notice after 6 years | Credit Karma

What is the best way to settle an old debt with DirecTV?

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/smb-directv/KM1215188

Where do I go to dispute a bill with Directv?

What if they damage my credit?

FCRA Summary of Rights | Equifax

Fair Credit Reporting Act

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/pdf-0096-fair-credit-reporting-act.pdf

Thank you for all the help.

You're welcome, hope you get them to work with you.

It took me a week to close my account with them, and I consider that a miracle.

Never trust what you're told, verify it, and stay on top of everything.

They are very difficult to work with, especially if you wish to close your account.

They key to getting the result you want is to be persistent, follow up everything, document everything, and stay on top of the situation.

Back