did we hire a bad lawyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhopcroft

ok, we hired a lawyer for my husband who was accused of stealiong over 900 bucks from his buisness which he did not do! So we have been going to court over this all year and still have not went in front of a judge, So anyway this past time at court his lawyer taled to the Prosucuter and the manager from the buisness & the lawyer came back in & told my husband if he would pay the 900 bucks back by Nov 22nd then he would not go to jail the would reduce it to a misdemnor & he would get probation, if he didn't have the money he would go to jail for about 3 years because of his theft charge in 1998.
He said but why should i pay i didn't take it & he said the judge would not look at it like that because he did fess up to taking 50 bucks, so they would assume he took the entire thing!

This is not legal Advice!

I do not think you hired a bad lawyer, He has done a bargining plee. I see nothing wrong here because if your Partner admitted to taking fifty bucks he might as well pay the $900 bucks and think of it as a small fine. What is the point of waisting the judges time over the differance in the money, you may end up worse off in the end because the judge may give him a bigger fine than the $900 bucks for stealing the fifty!

Take this as a learning curb and try to put it all behind you. Unless you have evidence to prove the money was not taken by your partner, it will be hard for the judge to see your side of this issue.

Good luck and remember this is only my opinion.

hard to tell

Depends on how you view the atty.

Is he a gunslinger who thinks he can winn every case & even have a murderer set free, or is he timid & wants to plea everything out?

You tell me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back