(DFCS) Do I need a Lawyer

providentially

Jurisdiction
Georgia
My two sons got into their 1st physical fight Thursday night. My youngest son (14y.o.) came to me and said they were fighting over whether or not the fan should be on (also it was their 1st week sharing a room), I calmed him down and sent him to sleep on the pullout in living room since it was late. He didn't tell me that they had gotten physical, specifically that his oldest (17) brother had punched him and that he had punched him back giving him (his oldest brother) a black eye! They went off to school the next morning and my oldest son told his teacher that his eye was the result of "a family squabble." He may have said other things he is not admitting to in order to get sympathy for his failing grades. DFCS pulled all three of my kids out of class and interviewed them. I found out once I got home from work about the fight, eye, & DFCS. Now DFCS says I have to meet them and allow myself to be interviewd and a search/inspection done of my home. I am not guilty of child abuse or neglect in any fashion but it seems as if I am being treated as if I am and I am worried. They asked if their father and I drink, we do, if we fight, on occasion yes, ever physically No. I can't believe they never asked my youngest son about his brothers eye or else he said he would have told them! I am worried about my rights here. And how best to make all of this go away. It was a sibling fight for goodness sakes. Sucks as they are usually best buds but...
So would you recommend I just comply and cross my fingers that she likes all of our answers or get a lawyer?

So would you recommend I just comply and cross my fingers that she likes all of our answers or get a lawyer?

I just counseled a family about a similar issue with CPS.

I advised them NOT to speak with CPS.

I also advised them to speak to their child and have the kid contact one or both of them if CPS tried to speak with him.

I further told them to tell the kid to them clam up until one of them (his parents) arrived.

You can't win if you allow CPS into your life.

Read on to learn why talking to CPS is never good for you or your family.

Do NOT make these 5 mistakes with CPS!

The Corrupt Business of Child Protective Services

10 Things You Should do if Child Protective Services or DCFS is Investigating You

Now DFCS says I have to meet them and allow myself to be interviewd and a search/inspection done of my home.

No you don't.
Tell them you have plans to take out the trash that day and you aren't available.
Reschedule for a more convenient time in about 20 years.

You don't HAVE to do anything. You can always say no. They won't like it, but if you like watching people cry feel free to say it.

I am not guilty of child abuse or neglect in any fashion but it seems as if I am being treated as if I am

No you're not. DFCS is investigating. It's what they do.

I can't believe they never asked my youngest son about his brothers eye or else he said he would have told them!

Needless to say, you don't know what was and wasn't asked, and your son certainly could have offered this information without a direct question.

would you recommend I just comply and cross my fingers that she likes all of our answers or get a lawyer?

This is not something about which you should rely on input from complete strangers on the internet. You certainly are free to consult with legal counsel if you wish.

Back