Determing Market Value for Capital Gain Determination

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLRSKY

Jurisdiction
California
I am the successor trustee for my mother's trust. She is 92 and resigned last year as trustee. To pay for some medical expenses, we sold a lot she owned last year, which lot she inherited in 1972. I am working on filing her tax return this year. Since she is still alive, the preparer will file it on a personal tax return.

To determine the capital gain, I am told I need to come up with a market value (not assessed value) for the property as of when she first inherited it. My mother has nothing like that in her files. She held the property in joint tenancy with three other siblings for about a year, so for the capital gain I need the market value when she inherited it x.25, her interest in the property. None of her siblings have retained any information about their transactions in subdividing and then selling their lots.

So, I am in need of determining the market value in 1972...Does anyone know how I can go about that?

Thank you in advance.

So, I am in need of determining the market value in 1972...Does anyone know how I can go about that?

As trustee, your fiduciary obligation requires you to endeavor to make sure mother's interests are represented accurately.

I suggest you work with a CPA (or TAX ATTORNEY), and NOT a tax preparation service.

You certainly don't want to solicit answers about complex tax matters for free via the internet from unknown, and unvetted sources.

Yes, the people that responding to your same question on the other site. Please go back there and read them.

No reason to keep this one going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back