Repairs, Maintenance Destruction of private property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aljohnson

I own a rental house on July 8th 2011 the tenants boyfriend as told by neighbor kicked in my doors, but instead of calling me she had her father come over to repair it , the only thing that needed to be replaced was the wood where the door locked as it split, about a ten dollar piece of wood however this father proceeded to take my security door down, buying a exterior door taking mine down, (his) which was a prehung door my doors were custom as the width was 31in not standard and he cut my ceilings on my porch through to the attic as well as my studs on my porch to try and get this door to fit, he also cut my aluminum siding, but the porch was the worst because it was a danger to any one who walked on it, the tenant, nor him never told me of this or had my permission to do any repairs and it is also stated in the lease, I had a carpenter come and repair as much of the damage as he could, paid him $500 bucks to fix the porch first and he had to take out a nice section of the porch and replace the stud board before he could even repair the top floor of the porch and this man lost the frame to my security door which I paid $800 dollars for ten years ago because it is a custom made door to fit my door and acts as if he was ok to do so. so who do I sue can I sue this man as well as my tenant. Thanks for all your help.

You can sue whoever lost/damaged the door for the depreciated value of the door.

You can sue the tenant's boyfriend for the cost of the carpenter. You cannot sue the tenant.

(Assuming you're within the SOL anyway)

Do you think this broken down bunch of hoodlums have the funds to repay you, even if you sue them?
I don't.
You can sue. You might even prevail. But, these broke bums won't be able to satisfy the judgment. If you win, you'll just be more frustrated and unsatisfied. If I were you, I'd let it go. If you don't want to do that, sue them in small claims court. You'll need a witness and must prove what you allege. I doubt these dummies will fess up to anything, but you are free to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back